how to pass parameter in like'%' format

• hi

i want pass parameter in like '%'.for the example if i want names that begin with j from my table iwould jus"SELECT Emp_No,Emp_Name FROM Employees WHERE Emp_Name Like 'J%'so want to pass parameter as unknown values and enter it.

• Is what you are looking for basically something along the line of:

create procedure emp_proc @nameParm varchar(30)

as

SELECT Emp_No,Emp_Name FROM Employees

WHERE Emp_Name Like @nameParm + '%'

??

To search for names that start with 'J', this would be called with SQL statements similar to:

exec emp_proc 'J'

or

exec emp_proc @nameParm = 'J'

or

emp_proc 'J'

Give a look at articles related to procedures in books online.

As an aside, it is good that you are looking for names that "start with" a certain string. The performance of a clause such as

WHERE Emp_Name Like @nameParm + '%'

optimizes better than

WHERE Emp_Name Like '%' + @nameParm + '%'

• Thanks

it worked

• Hi,

If you have '%' in your column values then you need to implement this in special way. I tought i woule like to give you some information on this.

There are several characters that have special meaning within a SQL query, for example the percent sign (%) in a LIKE query is a wildcard that essentially means "any number of characters can go here." Likewise, the underscore (_) is a wildcard that says "any single character can go here." So what if you are actually looking for a value that contains a literal percent sign? You will end up with bizarre results if you try the following:

SELECT columns FROM table WHERE

column LIKE '%%%'

Instead, you can try one of the following solutions:

column LIKE '%[%]%'

-- or

column LIKE '%\%%' ESCAPE '\'

The first query 'delimits' the special character with square brackets, telling the engine to treat it as a normal literal character instead of a character with special meaning. The second query uses a custom escape character -- you can use any character you like, just be careful that you aren't also expecting to use it as part of the literal string.

Thanks -- VJ

http://dotnetvj.blogspot.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply