How to process 2005 olap databases using SQL 2005 legacy DTS

• Hi,

I have upgraded my Analysis server 2000 to 2005 and SQL 2000 DTS to sql 2005 legacy (not migrated to SSIS). I was using DTS to process the olap databases in SQL 2000. Now I need to process 2005 olap databases using SQL 2005 legacy DTS. Please let me know if someone knows how to do?

Thanks in advance

--SNT

• OOOOhhhh,

You really should have checked this one out before you did it. Basically you cannot process AS2005 cubes from DTS.AS 2005 has been completely re written. You should notice that the DTS packages you have migrated in legacy mode not only don’t work but won’t open properly, also you'll notice in DTS legacy mode there is not OLAP Process task.

Obviously the best way to sort this out is to migrate the cubes properly but this would probably be time consuming and you’ll be wanting to keep those cubes up and running wont you. So, one way to process 2000 cubes via SQL server 2005 is to keep a SQL server 2000 server that will be used solely as a cube processor. You would create DTS packages on the 2000 box to process your dimensions and cubes and then from your SQL server 2005 Job kick off those 2000 DTS packages on the SQL server 2000 server. This is not ideal because it means keeping a SQL server 2000 server available adding to the levels of failure and increases maintenance. Another way is to create a set of DSO scripts that do the processing and call them from sprocs or command lines in your SQL Server 2005 Job.

Hope this helps,

• Wildh is right, you can't process a AS 2005 cube from a 2000 dts package that is running in legacy mode. However, its not a hard job to create a SSIS package to do the same thing against the AS 2005 cube. If you are familiar with SSIS, it is basically the same steps as with DTS only using the newer AS 2005 cube processing step.

Not certain, but if you migrate your cube processing dts package to an ssis package, it may convert it to the correct cube processing step. If not, it will at least get you further down teh road to where you want to be.

HTH,

John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply