How to replace a MSDN version with a Volume License version of SQL Server 2005

• Someone mistakenly installed an MSDN version of SQL Server.  Now we have a bunch of databases and logins define on the MSDN version.  I need to install a real version of SQL Server 2005 without losing any logins and databases.  Any suggestions on how I should do this?  What method would be the easiest, besides firing the DBA that did this.

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• I think there is no MSDN version...Are you talking about MSDE 2000 or EXPRESS edition 2005...

Upgrade from MSDE 2000 to Express 2005

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/msde2sqlexpress.mspx

Upgrade from Express 2005 to WorkGroup/Standard 2005

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/8/B/E8B42814-6A0C-40EB-911F-E7ADEC87F5D5/UpgrExptoWkgStd.doc

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• I'm sorry I was not very clear in my post.  What I meant was that a download of the Standard Edition edition was used for the install and an MSDN PIDKEY was used to activate the SQL Server install.  I just want to make sure I install the Volume License software that does not require a PIDKEY when installing. 

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• I'm sorry I was not very clear in my post.  What I meant was that a download of the Standard Edition edition was used for the install and an MSDN PIDKEY was used to activate the SQL Server install.  I just want to make sure I install the Volume License software that does not require a PIDKEY when installing. 

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• Functionally the two editions are exactly the same.  There are no limitations, no timebombs.

If you really do want to replace it, backup master and the other databases to another location.  Uninstall the existing install, install the new version

using SQLCMD or SSMS in single user mode, restore master over the top of the current one.  Should be good to go.

I've even just stopped an instance of SQL.  Copied the master, msdb, tempdb and other databases to directly over the top of another installation (same edition, same drive/path locations) on a different server and started up the new box and everything worked just fine.

AucklandSQL User Group
    Independent SQL Server Consultant
    SQL Server MVP
  • Thanks for the information.   I think the real issue here is a licensing issue, and not software.  So I am planning on installing the Volume License version that does not require a PIDKEY.

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

• In my dealings with Microsoft, as long as I can prove I actually own the licenses to match what's deployed (in a sense that the servers are deployed for production purposes not development/testing) they've been more than happy.

I know we've got a number of servers deployed worldwide where the incorrect media has been used (DataCentre engineers, sigh) and it's too late in the process to correct it now, but I just added a covering note to the licnesing folder, and when we were audited, they were quite happy.

But as I said.  As long as you backup/restore Master, that's where all the important stuff is kept.

AucklandSQL User Group
    Independent SQL Server Consultant
    SQL Server MVP
  • Humm, now that is a lot easier.  Maybe I'll discuss going this route.  Thanks for the thought.

Gregory A. Larsen, MVP

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply