How to restore

• Hello,

I have downloaded a bak file from a remote server. Now I need to create the database on my computer.

I have sql server 2008 installed on my computer (the free stuff). But sql server does not see the bak file. Even if I type in the path name. It says stuff like check if file exists check if you have permission, etc. Has this happened to anyone else?

The backup is 30gb+ is that an issue?

If a guru wants to connect to my computer and do this for me I'll will be willing to pay a small fee if the database is fully restored.

I sincerely Thank you in advance.

• Check the property of your backup file....it is saved with .bak extension then there should not be problem.

when restore give your DB name...........thats all

• 30 GB is not a problem , its relatively normal, as posted earlier check the extension of the file. 🙂

• Does the SQL Server Service account have rights to the directory where the backup file is?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you for your replies. It is a .bak file it sees the folder but it does not see the file itself. How can I check if sql server has access the file? Please help.

• give the restore database name....

explore the folder where backup file is placed.

then in last text box manually type the name of backup file

• give the restore database name....

explore the folder where backup file is placed.

then in last text box manually type the name of backup file

including filename + .bak .

It works

• You indicated in your original post (I belieive) that you are using SQL Server Express? I don't think you will be able to access the database. The Express version of SQL Server is limited to a database no larger than 4 GB.

• If you need to work with this database on your computer you may want to consider spending $50.00 (USD) and buying the Developer Edition of SQL Server.

• Lynn Pettis (5/19/2009)

You indicated in your original post (I belieive) that you are using SQL Server Express? I don't think you will be able to access the database. The Express version of SQL Server is limited to a database no larger than 4 GB.

Good catch.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • ops missed that picture 🙂

• CrazyMan!!!!!!!!!!!

Good capture...............

• Thank you.

It was a permission issue and thats why I couldn't load it. And yes I can't put it in sql server express.

I am transferring the bak file to a server that has sql server installed.

After that I have to create a database with it, and then save data from a single table and transfer the table to a different sever.

I am creating a new post for this issue please help me out.

• We're happy to help.

One note, you don't need to create a database. Just restore and give it a new database name.

• Even i tried to restore but facing same issue due to the compatibility level.

Better option try

Restore database from disk='PATH' with init, Stats

OR

Restore database from disk='PATH'

with move 'MDFFILENAME' to 'PATH FOR MDF LOCATION',

move 'LOGICALNAME' to 'PATH FOR LDF LOCATION',init, Stats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply