How to restrict users not do SQL 2005 Export/import wizard operations in sql server 2005

• Hi,

How to restrict users not do SQL 2005 Export/import wizard operations in sql server 2005.

Can i restrict the normal user to do export and import of data for the security purpose.

how to do that pls tell me.

Waiting for ur kind reply.

Thanks

• nice thing to know!

============================================================
    SELECT YOUR PROBLEM FROM SSC.com WHERE PROBLEM DESCRIPTION =
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]

• I think the best way to do this is restrict the permissions to the underlying objects. If the users cannot use a wizard they can still use scripting, .net, or another ETL tool if they have permissions to the underlying objects.

I assume from your question that your users are not to be trusted with using the wizards, but I would suggest reworking the security topology so that permissions to the objects is limited.

Generally users and even developers should not have any kind of write permissions in production environments. Further, they should have any DDL permissions, and without these all they could really do is copy data from production to test/dev with the wizards which probably isn't so bad. that is of course unless they are attempting to copy 50 million rows from production to dev. Depending on your business requirements maybe you can get away with giving them view definition and not read.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply