How to return rows with same value in one column and not same value in another column

• I have a table with three columns:

UserID

LastName

FirstName

I need to create a query or sp that can identify values of the UserID that are duplicated, that is the same UserID has been used in more than one row, but with different LastName values. Then, I need it to also return the UserID, LastName, and FirstName for all of the rows meeting those conditions.

I need to do this in a single t-sql query or sp and without a temp table.

Thank you!

• Untested, since there are no data provided to test against:

;with cte as

(

select UserID

from table

group by UserID

having count(*) >1

)

select table.* from table inner join cte on cte.UserID = table.UserID

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Something like this ?

with cteuser

as

(

Select user_id,LastName,FirstName,row_number() over (partition by user_id order by LastName) as RowN

from <yourtable>

)

Select * from cteUser where RowN > 1

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• DROP TABLE #Users

CREATE TABLE #Users (UserID INT, LastName VARCHAR(20), FirstName VARCHAR(20))

INSERT INTO #Users (UserID, LastName, FirstName)

SELECT 1, 'Smith', 'John' UNION ALL

SELECT 2, 'Jones', 'James Earl' UNION ALL

SELECT 3, 'Sahathevarajan', 'Rajkumar' UNION ALL

SELECT 1, 'Smith', 'Alan' UNION ALL

SELECT 5, 'Jones', 'John' UNION ALL

SELECT 5, 'Smith', 'John'

-- Use the result of this...

SELECT UserID, LastName, COUNT(*)

FROM #Users

GROUP BY UserID, LastName

ORDER BY UserID, LastName

-- as the input for this...

SELECT UserID, COUNT(*)

FROM (

SELECT UserID, LastName

FROM #Users

) d

GROUP BY UserID

HAVING COUNT(*) > 1

-- which, when joined back to your original table...

SELECT u.*

FROM #Users u

INNER JOIN (

SELECT UserID

FROM (

SELECT UserID, LastName

FROM #Users

) d

GROUP BY UserID

HAVING COUNT(*) > 1

) dupes ON dupes.UserID = u.UserID

-- gives your requested result.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Fantastic! Three different methods in as many minutes!

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Thank you so much for the quick and plentiful responses. Chris, I tried your suggested code and it works pretty good except that I also need to exclude from the results the rows where LastName is the same. That is, I want only the records where UserID is the same as another row's UserID, but the LastName is not the same. Your solution includes both rows where LastName is different and rows where LastName is the same. Any ideas?

Thank you!

• jmcnemar (1/11/2010)

Thank you so much for the quick and plentiful responses. Chris, I tried your suggested code and it works pretty good except that I also need to exclude from the results the rows where LastName is the same. That is, I want only the records where UserID is the same as another row's UserID, but the LastName is not the same. Your solution includes both rows where LastName is different and rows where LastName is the same. Any ideas?

Thank you!

No problem - but there's a question for you first (isn't there always). How do you determine which row is the row which is duplicated, and which row(s) are the duplicates of it?

Cheers

ChrisM@home

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• If the UserID and LastName are the same in multiple rows, I do not want to include any of those rows. I only want to include rows where the UserID is the same as in any other row, but with different LastName Value than any other row with the same UserID. Where there some rows with same UserId/same LastName and other rows with that UserID/different LastName, it does not matter which one of the exact duplicates it picks up. For example:

Include these:

UserID LastName

1 Jones

1 Smith

3 Jones

3 Doe

Do not include these:

UserID LastName

1 Jones

1 Jones

3 Doe

3 Doe

Adding a DISTINCT qualifier to your code may have done this trick for me. That is I did not use SELECT * in the outer query as in your example, I did SELECT DISTINCT UserID, LastName...instead

Thank you!

• No problem:

SELECT u.*, dupes.MainLastname

FROM #Users u

INNER JOIN (

SELECT UserID, MIN(LastName) AS MainLastname

FROM (

SELECT UserID, LastName

FROM #Users

) d

GROUP BY UserID

HAVING COUNT(*) > 1

) dupes ON dupes.UserID = u.UserID

AND dupes.MainLastname <> u.LastName

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply