How to run a DTS package from a NT cmd line

• Without giving out the SQL enterprise access to an user, is there a way to run a DTS package in a NT cmd prompt window?

The reason for it is I don't want to have users go into MS SQL enterprise manager for just executing a package if I don't have to. Enterprise manager is too power that they may do other stuff that they are not supposed to or do it by error. For example, stop the MSSQL service by mistake.

I guess the other way to tackle my issue is how to limit the user access in SQL enterprise manager for just executing a package and nothing else. If someone can give me some pointers either way, it is very much appeciated!

• Hi Wingman,

Try this

dtsrun /Sserver_name /Uuser_nName /Ppassword /Npackage_name /Mpackage_password

Thanks

• I believe the user running the command need only have DTSRUN.EXE installed to run the dtsrun utility. It doesn't require ent mgr. Also, having ent mgr's client tools alone doesn't allow you to stop the service on the server. It doesn't provide any additional administrative rights. That's controlled by server's security roles.

• You can write a small WSH (VBS) script with using DTS COM Library and run this script via cscript.exe.

1: The question is ... "What is a MahnaMahna"?
    2: The question is ... "Who cares?"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply