How to run another script in the same session

• I am new to SQL Server (was an Oracle DBA), and am trying to figure out how to run another .sql script from the current one. I know I can use xp_cmdshell, but then it's a different connection, plus I have to basically re-login via the command line. In Oracle (SQL*Plus), you can just write "@other_script" or "run other_script" and it uses the SQL_PATH env variable to find the script, load it and run it in the current connection.

e.g. I have some utility scripts -- one that disables all foreign keys, and another that enables them. When I script ddl/dml changes, it's often helpful to disable fk's at the top, and re-enable them at the bottom. I don't want to copy and paste all that code, rather I'd like to just call out to the scripts.

Similarly, I have a script that creates the schema, tables and loads sample data. Instead of one huge script to do it all, I want a single controlling script that invokes several other scripts, so I can divide the work up into more logical, manageable scripts. I imagine something like:

-- create app schema

print 'creating application schema...'

print 'creating tables'

-- run createTables.sql

print 'creating dictionary data...'

-- run dictionary.sql

[...more of same...]

print 'done'

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Gordon

• How 'bout something like this in a BAT file

SET ChangeRecord=Maintenance

SET LOGDIR="C:\Logs\%ChangeRecord%"

IF NOT EXIST %LOGDIR% MKDIR %LOGDIR%

SET LOG=%LOGDIR%\%ChangeRecord%_runsql.log

SET PREFIX=%LOGDIR%\maint.

SET SRVNAME=MyServerName

SET DB=YourDB

ECHO. > %LOG%

osql  -S%SRVNAME% -E -n   -d%DB% -i "C:\Stored Procedures\Disable_FK.sql" -o %PREFIX%Disable_FK.sql.err >> %LOG%

osql  -S%SRVNAME% -E -n   -d%DB% -i "C:\Stored Procedures\Enable_FK.sql" -o %PREFIX%Enable_FK.sql.err >> %LOG%

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• That's good input. I'm really looking for the ability to run multiple sql scripts in a single database connection. I'm thinking it doesn't exist.

Thanks, though.

Gordon

• Why not call usp_Umbrella which inside would do:

EXEC usp_Maintenance1

EXEC usp_Maintenance2

etc..... 

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply