How to run Business Intelligence Development Studio in VS2005

• Hi,

I think you already installed default "SQL Express Edition" with VS2005. As I know there is 3 SQL Express setup are available

1) SQL Express

2) SQL Express Advance Services

3) SQL Express Tool Kit

If you install first one, then second and third setup not allowed, same with other two concurrent setups.

Uninstall existing one and then install SQL Express (Advance Services), if you need Reporting Services & Server on your machine (If you install this you never get BIDS on your machine), if you install SQL Express ToolKit then you will get BIDS on your machine, but for report deployment you need report server.

Hope this will give you a clear idea about the BIDS installation.

• Hi

Is there a way that I can skip uninstalling sql as I do not want to go through the hastle of taking the backups and restoring them later after the installation??

The installation was not done by me so I have no clue what it was...I was given this machine inorder to work on SSIS and I am stuck with this issue where I am not able to open BIDS ....

Appreciate your help....

• Hi,

You can use tgiven tool (Windows Install Clean Up) to remove registry setting of SQL Express, and then install other required software. After installation, just attach your existing database.

This is the simplest way to resolve your problem.

• Hi,

I am trying to migrate the DTS packages to SSIS and I am facing some issues . The dts packages have few batch files which seems to be fine but when migrated they dont seem to work and package doesnt execute.Any clue what things can go wrong in this kind of a situation??

• From http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=726211&SiteID=1

You should make sure that Visual Studio is still installed. If you didn't previously have VS installed, the BI Dev Studio installation will install a VS shell called Visual Studio Premier Partner Edition. Look in Add or Remove Programs for an entry like this. If you don't find any entry for Visual Studio go to the location for SQL Server setup and run .\Tools\Setup\vs_setup.exe. This will install the VS Shell. After this is installed repair the BI Studio installation by running the following from the command line from the .\Tools directory: start /wait setup.exe /qb REINSTALL=SQL_WarehouseDevWorkbench REINSTALLMODE=OMUS

• I had VS 2008 Professional and VS 2005 Professional. I installed SQL Server 2005 Express with Advanced tools and included Reporting Services complete. I see that the ReportingServices databases are correctly created, but not BIDS. I have completely uninstalled SQL Server, VS 2008 and VS 2005 ... everything ... and reinstalled SQL Server 2005 Express with Advanced.

No VS shell is created, nor a link to BIDS in the SQL Server menu. The ReportingServices databases are created, but I have no BIDS.

Is it not installing BIDS because it thinks it is already there? Do I need to uninstall SQL Server again for the 3rd or 4th time and do some registry cleaning before I try to reinstall?

After I get it installed correctly - if I ever do - can I install the complete VS 2005 Professional over the shell?

And can I install VS 2008 Professional on the same machine without hosing BIDS in VS 2005?

When I go to the SQL directory area I can find the VSShell directory with a bunch of content - but vs_setup.exe is nowhere to be found anywhere in the SQL Server directory tree.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply