How to run trigger or procedure

• Dear nice guys,

I just start to write SQL Script. This is incomplete and I don't know exact syntax about that. Would anyone tell me how to create well-formed procedure or trigger with the following code. Thanks you for help!!!!!

<code>

DECLARE @iNumValue int, @charOldValue char(6)SELECT @iNumValue = CAST( SUBSTRING (ValueColumnName, 4, 3) AS Integer ), @charOldValue = ValueColumnName

SET @iNumValue = @iNumValue + 1

IF @iNumValue > 999

BEGIN 

Set iNumValue = 0 

DECLARE @chOneLetter char(1)

Set @chOneLetter = 'A'

SELECT @chOneLetter = CHAR(ASCII(@chOneLetter) + 1)

END

DECLARE @charNewValue char(6)SET @charNewValue = LEFT(@charOldValue, 3) + RIGHT('000' + CAST(@iNumValue AS varchar(3), 3 )

</code>

• Basically add  

CREATE TRIGGER <trigger_name>

AS 

at the beginning for a proc and

CREATE TRIGGER <trigger_name>

ON <table_name>

FOR DELETE, INSERT, UPDATE

AS

See BOL for more information.  If you are using Query Analyzer from SQL Server 2000 when you create a new screen(CTRL N) you can select templates for the kind of query are writing.  Clean up the syntax errors in your code and you can easily create a proc from it.

Francis

• I think the best thing is to write 1 Stored procedure (not to write the trigeer on it .. or on the table ..)

and this can be reashed by checking @@error varable after adding to table ... if it is 0 (ok) then add to the other table ..

if you make a trigger, then with every insert in the table ... the trigger will fire (run) ... is this what you want? if yes then make the triiger ...

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply