How to save DB diagram, generated in SQL ,in word format?

• How to save  DB diagram, generated in SQL ,in word format?

• As far as I know, there is no way to do it directly.

You can use a product like emarcadero to generate diagrams which will also give you other features which you may or may not need.

However, I have found a product called Snagit. This lets you specify an area on your screen and basically photograph it and store it as a picture in a bmp,jpg etc format. Hence, you can capture the EM screen with the actual diagram but not the whole of the screen.

You can then bring the picture into word. One other good thing about is that you can download a trial version for free.

Here's the link:

http://www.download.com/3000-2064-10004813.html

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• I agree, there's not a way to save the DB Diagram directly into Word format.   I use the print-screen technique - the product I use is Print-Key Pro; it also has a free-trial download:

http://www.warecentral.com/download.htm

The license fee for Print-Key Pro is $19.95, compared to $40.00 for Snagit.

Regards,

Bob Monahon

• Hi All,

Unless I'm missing the boat here somewhere regarding these image techniques and apps described here, how about just pressing the Print Screen key on your keyboard (Prt Scr) for the full monitor or Alt + Prt Scr for only the active window then paste into a Word doc?

Mike

• Mike u r right but this is round about way not a direct  , I was expecting direct way from SQL server but I think it is not there. Any way thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Yuvraj

• It is quite easy to save a database diagram as a .pdf document. 

This is done by printing the document to a virtual printer that outputs the results as a .pdf document instead of writing to paper.  There are a number of freeware and shareware pdf writers.  I use Ghostscript at home, and have not had any problems using the Acrobat reader with the more recent versions of Ghostscript. 

The advantage of a virtual printer is that if the application can print, then you can get a .pdf.  There is a print function for database diagrams, so you are guaranteed a .pdf using this approach.

There may be virtual printer software available that can produce a Word document in the same way.  If not, there is plentry of software that can convert pdf to word.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Yeah, there's no way to do it directly.  I've discovered that Visio Professional, has a nice database reverse engineering wizard.  It seems to do a better job at database diagrams than the one included in Enterprise Manager.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply