how to Select getdate () in yyyy/M format ?

• I want to select getdate() in the format yyyy/M. i tried to write a query as SELECT FORMAT(GETDATE(),'yyyy/M') but it is giving me error.I am a beginner in sql. how do i achieve yyyy/m format if there is only single digit month. eg. the query should give 2016/1 when there is only one digit month(it should not give 2016/01) and should give 2016/10 when the month is of two digits

• sushantkatte (1/13/2016)

I want to select getdate() in the format yyyy/M. i tried to write a query as SELECT FORMAT(GETDATE(),'yyyy/M') but it is giving me error.I am a beginner in sql. how do i achieve yyyy/m format if there is only single digit month. eg. the query should give 2016/1 when there is only one digit month(it should not give 2016/01) and should give 2016/10 when the month is of two digits

Works fine for me:

declare @date date;

set @date = '2015-01-06';

select FORMAT(@date,'yyyy/M'); -- yields 2015/1

set @date = '2015-10-06';

select FORMAT(@date,'yyyy/M'); -- yields 2015/10

What was the error you received?

Be careful anyway, FORMAT is very slow when compared to other date functions. CONVERT does not contain a style option for the format you need but even some basic string-building might be a better performing option.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• SELECT CONVERT(nvarchar(6), GETDATE(), 112)

• johnwalker10 (1/13/2016)

SELECT CONVERT(nvarchar(6), GETDATE(), 112)

That returns 201601 for days in January. The OP wants 2016/1 for January and 2016/10 for October. There is no style offered by CONVERT for that format.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• sushantkatte (1/13/2016)

I want to select getdate() in the format yyyy/M. i tried to write a query as SELECT FORMAT(GETDATE(),'yyyy/M') but it is giving me error.I am a beginner in sql. how do i achieve yyyy/m format if there is only single digit month. eg. the query should give 2016/1 when there is only one digit month(it should not give 2016/01) and should give 2016/10 when the month is of two digits

This might help, stuff the leading zero out if the month is less than 10.

😎

DECLARE @TDATE DATE = '2016-01-15';

SELECT STUFF(CONVERT(nvarchar(6), @TDATE, 112),5,1 - MONTH(@TDATE) / 10,'/');

SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR(4),YEAR(@TDATE),0) + CONVERT(VARCHAR(4),MONTH(@TDATE),0);

SET @TDATE = '2015-11-20';

SELECT STUFF(CONVERT(nvarchar(6), @TDATE, 112),5,1 - MONTH(@TDATE) / 10,'/');

SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR(4),YEAR(@TDATE),0) + CHAR(47) + CONVERT(VARCHAR(4),MONTH(@TDATE),0);

Output

-------

2016/1

-------

2015/11

Don't use the FORMAT function, it performs appallingly bad!

Edit: typo + missed the slash + alternative method

• Orlando Colamatteo (1/13/2016)

Be careful anyway, FORMAT is very slow when compared to other date functions. CONVERT does not contain a style option for the format you need but even some basic string-building might be a better performing option.

Eirikur Eiriksson (1/13/2016)

Totally agree with that. In fact, it's 44 times slower than CONVERT. Guess I'll have to write and article on it. Getting tired of posting the code that proves it. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Slay it. I was completely bummed when I learned how bad it was because functionally FORMAT is a breath of fresh air compared to other methods. Too bad it's essentially unusable.

--Plato

• Jeff Moden (1/14/2016)

Orlando Colamatteo (1/13/2016)

Totally agree with that. In fact, it's 44 times slower than CONVERT. Guess I'll have to write and article on it. Getting tired of posting the code that proves it. 🙂

IIRC I posted such a code the last time we had this discussion

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (1/14/2016)

Jeff Moden (1/14/2016)

IIRC I posted such a code the last time we had this discussion

😎

True enough. If you hadn't, I would have. An article will save much time for both of us.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Orlando Colamatteo (1/13/2016)

sushantkatte (1/13/2016)

Works fine for me:

declare @date date;

A quick test shows that (on a 1 million row table) even this

SELECT CAST(YEAR(GETDATE()) AS VARCHAR(4)) + '/' + CAST(MONTH(GETDATE()) AS VARCHAR(2))

is considerably quicker than FORMAT

Results

(1000000 row(s) affected)

Table '#A1E46162'. Scan count 1, logical reads 2101, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Using CAST

SQL Server Execution Times:

CPU time = 312 ms, elapsed time = 325 ms.

Table '#A1E46162'. Scan count 1, logical reads 2101, physical reads 0, read-ahead reads 0, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Using FORMAT

CPU time = 9266 ms, elapsed time = 9764 ms.

• nigel. (1/15/2016)

sushantkatte (1/13/2016)

Works fine for me:

declare @date date;

Thanks for the test Nigel, your findings are very much inline with what I would expect.

😎

A quick test shows that (on a 1 million row table) even this

SELECT CAST(YEAR(GETDATE()) AS VARCHAR(4)) + '/' + CAST(MONTH(GETDATE()) AS VARCHAR(2))

is considerably quicker than FORMAT

Results

(1000000 row(s) affected)

Using CAST

CPU time = 312 ms, elapsed time = 325 ms.

Using FORMAT

CPU time = 9266 ms, elapsed time = 9764 ms.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply