How to solve Index Usage

• I've a very complex query on which I'm working from past 2-3 weeks. Had already done lots of experiments. I've broken down this query to a part where its taking too much time [Out of 4 secons, 3 secs are taken by this part]. Its a select statement on a big table with over 2000000 records. Here we have defined index but since we are using LIKE operator with '%<SearchString>%', its doing an entire scan and thus taking long time. Is there any solution for this problem ?

• Ya, find ways to avoid doing that search. OR find other conditions that you could add that could use a filter.

OR do it like so where col like 'search%'

• Yeah I understand, but its not possible to change my requirement. One more thing, the clustered index on that table consists of four columns and my WHERE clause consists of two of them [numbered two and three in the index]. The second column in my WHERE clause is using the LIKE operator.

• Any way you can use the 1st column in the where??

You might consider making an extra index with column 3, 2 in that order.

Assuming column 3 is selective, that could help.

Now I'm just guessing from this point on because I don't have enough info to go on, but you could make that index covering by including the rest of the columns you need. Can't confirm without knowing more about the table, data, other indexes, usages... etc.

• Please post table definitions, index definitions and execution plan, as per http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • No working. Here is the table structure:

BusinessDate datetime no 8 no (n/a) (n/a) NULL

PName varchar no 30 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS

DName varchar no 30 no no no SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS

Status varchar no 20 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS

StartTime datetime no 8 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

EndTime datetime no 8 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

ElapsedTime int no 4 10 0 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

HName varchar no 100 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS

UName varchar no 100 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS

RNum smallint no 2 5 0 no (n/a) (n/a) NULL

IsLatest char no 1 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS

StartTimeInUTC datetime no 8 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

EndTimeInUTC datetime no 8 yes (n/a) (n/a) NULL

AppUserName varchar no 100 yes no yes SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS

Clustered Index structure:

PK_Table clustered, unique, unique key located on PRIMARY BusinessDate, PName, DName, RNum

My Query:

;WITH Max_ReportStatus

AS (

SELECT BusinessDate,PName,DName,BName,SName,AName,RName,

RerunCount,RNum,Status,

MAX(RerunCount) OVER (PARTITION BY BusinessDate,PName,DName,BName,

SName,AName, RName,RNum) as MaxRerunCount

FROM FINRISK.dbo.T_REPORTSTATUS (NOLOCK)

WHERE PName = 'MainProfile'

AND DName LIKE '%SearchPattern%')

SELECT PName, DName, BusinessDate, RNum, Status, COUNT(Status) StatusCount

FROM Max_ReportStatus

WHERE RerunCount = MaxRerunCount

GROUP BY PName, DName, BusinessDate, RNum, Status, RerunCount, MaxRerunCount

• Execution plan?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • On top of the exec plan, what other indexes do you have on the table?

• Also have you considered using Full Text search instead of using Like ?

It could be worth a test.

• Here it is.

• Any other indexes on the table?

• Nope. Just this one.

• Well, the execution plan is suggesting that you can get a 70% improvement by adding this index...

USE [FINRISK]

GO

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_T_REPORTSTATUS_Cover] -- rename as appropriate

ON [dbo].[T_REPORTSTATUS] ([ProfileName],[DomainName])

INCLUDE ([COBDate],[BookName],[SystemName],[AdapterName],[ReportName],[RerunCount],[Status],[RunNumber])

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (3/18/2011)

Well, the execution plan is suggesting that you can get a 70% improvement by adding this index...

USE [FINRISK]

GO

CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [IX_T_REPORTSTATUS_Cover] -- rename as appropriate

ON [dbo].[T_REPORTSTATUS] ([ProfileName],[DomainName])

INCLUDE ([COBDate],[BookName],[SystemName],[AdapterName],[ReportName],[RerunCount],[Status],[RunNumber])

Agreed but you add an index wih 10 of the 14 columns in the table, and then you need to add the 4 keys so you create a new index with 100% of the columns in the table.

That means 2 things, either rethink the clustered index or forget about those 3 seconds.

• Understand but how can we change any clustered index based on just one query. We have created that index based on various facts. This index has been created based on selectivity of many other queries and giving good results there. Its alos not about creating new index i think. As I've read somewhere that LIKE operator never takes help of any index and in any ways it scans the entire table. Can we beat this problem anyhow ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply