How to solve this 2 query

• Craig - you missed one key thing.

Each table had the required constraint

This probably should have specified that each table had the required CHECK constraint to ensure that data within only a certain time period was in it. THEN when running a select against the view, the QO will see that it doesn't need to hit those other tables.

Edit: and I see that Paul and Jeff both answered this while I was composing it - Thanks guys!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Actually, after all these years, I finally found the correct rules for the partitioning column including the fact that the partitioning column must be a part of the PK. I found it under "partitioning schemes" in BOL... not under "partitioned views". Here's the list straight out of BOL...

[font="Arial Black"]Partitioning Column Rules[/font]

Only one column can be used for partitioning, and it must exist on each member table. CHECK constraints identify the data available in each member table. The following additional rules apply:

The key ranges of the CHECK constraints in each table cannot overlap with the ranges of any other table. Any specific value of the partitioning column must map to only one table. The CHECK constraints can only use these operators: BETWEEN, IN, AND, OR, <, <=, >, >=, =.

The partitioning column cannot be an identity, default or timestamp column.

The partitioning column must be in the same ordinal location in the select list of each SELECT statement in the view. For example, the partitioning column is always the first column in each select list or the second column in each select list, and so on.

The partitioning column cannot allow for nulls.

The partitioning column must be a part of the primary key of the table.

The partitioning column cannot be a computed column.

There must be only one constraint on the partitioning column. If there is more than one constraint, SQL Server ignores all the constraints and will not consider them when determining whether the view is a partitioned view.

There are no restrictions on the updatability of the partitioning column.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• pietlinden (2/27/2011)

For someone who "needs to solve [this] on his own", you sure got the newsgroup to do a lot of your homework. The problem with that is who is going to sit next to you and take the exam? Just about every database exam I have ever had has had a substantial section on paper... mappings, ERDs, and all that jazz. Hope you find your book soon, and have the nerve to actually open it. The problem with cheating on homework is that it's where you learn, and having someone else give you the answer completely defeats the purpose.

This is just plain unhelpful, and more than a little rude.

If you don't want to help, or don't approve of the questioner's motives, move on to another thread without comment - there are plenty of others out there. I have no problem with assisting people with homework or anything else, so long as they make some sort of effort (which daveriya has) and are learning from the experience (again, true). We all had to start somewhere, and you just cannot assume that someone only posts a question here to 'cheat' - it is just as likely they are looking for some help and pointers from more experienced people. None of us know enough about the exact circumstances of the poster to make sweeping assumptions about their motives.

Forums are supposed to be a place for people to help others. Far too many threads are ending up as conversations on an unrelated topic by regulars who ought to know better - start a new thread for a new topic! In addition, far too many people are posting with comments in the same vein as the one posted above. I get that some people have moral objections to some questions - that is fine, but please just move on. Thank you.

daveriya - it would help us to help you if you would please read http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

Paul

• Jeff Moden (2/27/2011)

I found it under "partitioning schemes" in BOL... not under "partitioned views".

The is a good deal of coverage of this topic in BOL, in separate entries. The main index entry is 'Partitioned Views [SQL Server]' - which links to a number of useful pages including a complete list of requirements for the partitioning column under 'Creating Distributed Partitioned Views'.

• SQLkiwi (2/27/2011)

pietlinden (2/27/2011)

For someone who "needs to solve [this] on his own", you sure got the newsgroup to do a lot of your homework. The problem with that is who is going to sit next to you and take the exam? Just about every database exam I have ever had has had a substantial section on paper... mappings, ERDs, and all that jazz. Hope you find your book soon, and have the nerve to actually open it. The problem with cheating on homework is that it's where you learn, and having someone else give you the answer completely defeats the purpose.

This is just plain unhelpful, and more than a little rude.

If you don't want to help, or don't approve of the questioner's motives, move on to another thread without comment - there are plenty of others out there. I have no problem with assisting people with homework or anything else, so long as they make some sort of effort (which daveriya has) and are learning from the experience (again, true). We all had to start somewhere, and you just cannot assume that someone only posts a question here to 'cheat' - it is just as likely they are looking for some help and pointers from more experienced people. None of us know enough about the exact circumstances of the poster to make sweeping assumptions about their motives.

Forums are supposed to be a place for people to help others. Far too many threads are ending up as conversations on an unrelated topic by regulars who ought to know better - start a new thread for a new topic! In addition, far too many people are posting with comments in the same vein as the one posted above. I get that some people have moral objections to some questions - that is fine, but please just move on. Thank you.

daveriya - it would help us to help you if you would please read http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

Paul

Heh... you should practice what you preach in this case. 😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• SQLkiwi (2/27/2011)

Jeff Moden (2/27/2011)

I found it under "partitioning schemes" in BOL... not under "partitioned views".

The is a good deal of coverage of this topic in BOL, in separate entries. The main index entry is 'Partitioned Views [SQL Server]' - which links to a number of useful pages including a complete list of requirements for the partitioning column under 'Creating Distributed Partitioned Views'.

Yep... but those are for distributed partitioned views... not local partitioned views. 😉 The fact that the partitioning column must be a part of the PK is not included in the section called "creating" nor in the sub-selection that leads to called "Using Partitioned Views".

If you never have the intention of building "distributed" partitioned views, you may never find that nuance. They really need to include it in the "creating" and "using" sections of BOL.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (2/27/2011)

Heh. No. My comments were as much for daveriya's benefit as anyone else's - so quite on-topic.

• Jeff Moden (2/27/2011)

Yep... but those are for distributed partitioned views... not local partitioned views. 😉 The fact that the partitioning column must be a part of the PK is not included in the section called "creating" nor in the sub-selection that leads to called "Using Partitioned Views". If you never have the intention of building "distributed" partitioned views, you may never find that nuance. They really need to include it in the "creating" and "using" sections of BOL.

Jeff, if you have a suggestion to improve Books Online, submit it. My suggestion to Craig was to look up Partitioned Views in BOL, that's all. The information is there, so stop quibbling.

• SQLkiwi (2/27/2011)

Jeff Moden (2/27/2011)

Heh. No. My comments were as much for daveriya's benefit as anyone else's - so quite on-topic.

Perhaps... perhaps not. They seemed quite well directed at pietlinden and I believe that people have the same right to object (as you have just done) as people do to post. 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• SQLkiwi (2/27/2011)

Jeff Moden (2/27/2011)

Yep... but those are for distributed partitioned views... not local partitioned views. 😉 The fact that the partitioning column must be a part of the PK is not included in the section called "creating" nor in the sub-selection that leads to called "Using Partitioned Views". If you never have the intention of building "distributed" partitioned views, you may never find that nuance. They really need to include it in the "creating" and "using" sections of BOL.

Jeff, if you have a suggestion to improve Books Online, submit it. My suggestion to Craig was to look up Partitioned Views in BOL, that's all. The information is there, so stop quibbling.

Jeez, Paul. Lighten up! You were saying that the information was in a particular spot and I was saying it is not where it is expected.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Sorry for the delay, I was fiddling with the code you provided Jeff, trying to see what I'd not been paying attention to. I've known about a partitioned view, but sadly never really applied it, always finding them to be more annoying then anything else to work with when I investigated them via help files.

One of these days I'm going to learn to put a sock in my mouth before I use strong language towards any modeling technique again. I must learn to question, not react. I've been lone wolfing too much lately, it's starting to show.

Jeff Moden (2/27/2011)

It's not necessary to touch all of the tables BUT... you do have to build the underlying tables and the partitioned view correctly. You MUST have a non-overlapping check constraint on the "partitioning column" and the partitioned column MUST (I've never been able to get it to work any other way) be a part of the PK (something they don't come right out and tell you in BOL).

Here's the code that demos it all including inserts that automatically partition themselves to the correct table(s).

Thank you for this succinct code in showing exactly what I wasn't seeing. The tables should be called BoardToHead1... BoardToHead2... :blush:

Alright, I not only retract my abusive statement of the book's technique, I'm going to go paddle myself with wet noodles for a while. I've always approached problems like this via this method, which may have a lot to do with being self-trained on the job. I would hazard that it leaves a few gaping holes in my edumacation:

(Note, I do not recommend using this technique, it's why I avoid it.)

--DROP PROC FindRightTable

GO

CREATE PROC FindRightTable

@StartDate DATETIME,

@EndDate DATETIME

AS

DECLARE @C INT --DayCounter

, @sql nVARCHAR(4000)

, @tableName nVARCHAR(100)

, @StartMonth DATETIME

SET @C = 0

SET @startMonth = DATEADD( mm, DATEDIFF( mm, 0, @startdate), 0)

print @startMonth

WHILE @C <= DATEDIFF( mm, @StartDate, @EndDate)

BEGIN

IF @C > 0

BEGIN

SET @sql = @sql + ' UNION ALL ' + CHAR(13) + ' SELECT * FROM '

END

ELSE

BEGIN

SET @sql = 'SELECT * FROM '

END

SET @tableName = N'dbo.UnionTest_'

+ CONVERT( nVARCHAR(50), YEAR( DATEADD( mm, @C, @startMonth)))

+ CONVERT( nVARCHAR(50), RIGHT( 100 + MONTH( DATEADD( mm, @C, @startMonth)), 2)) --+100 trick courtesy of LutzM

+ ' '

SET @sql = @sql + @tableName

SET @sql = @sql + 'WHERE SomeDate >= ''' + CONVERT( VARCHAR(25), @StartDate, 121) + ''' AND SomeDate <= ''' + CONVERT( VARCHAR(25), @EndDate, 121) + ''''

--PRINT @sql

SET @C = @C+1

END

PRINT @sql

EXEC sp_executesql @sql

GO

EXEC FindRightTable @StartDate = '20110315', @EndDate = '20110316'

EXEC FindRightTable @StartDate = '20110215', @EndDate = '20110316'

EXEC FindRightTable @StartDate = '20110115', @EndDate = '20110316'

EXEC FindRightTable @StartDate = '20110115', @EndDate = '20110216'

@SQLKiwi: Sorry if you felt this or I was derailing the thread. I felt it appropriate still due to the context of the initial requests dealing with unioning tables designed this way.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• (Moved to a later post)

• Craig Farrell (2/27/2011)

Sorry for the delay, I was fiddling with the code you provided Jeff, trying to see what I'd not been paying attention to. I've known about a partitioned view, but sadly never really applied it, always finding them to be more annoying then anything else to work with when I investigated them via help files.

One of these days I'm going to learn to put a sock in my mouth before I use strong language towards any modeling technique again. I must learn to question, not react. I've been lone wolfing too much lately, it's starting to show.

No, no... you were fine. I didn't mean to come across personally when I said you have to do it right. Heh... guess you're in good company when it comes to needing to learn about socks. 😛 I've mostly been working in the "lone wolf" mode throughout my career and my email tone really sucks. I could have just left the "do it right" part out of it and it would have been much nicer. My most sincere apologies. I'll get it right one of these days.

Now, where'd I put that sock? 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• daveriya (2/27/2011)

One way to show its registered or not...{code removed} group by clause doesn fit anywhere here

Have a look at something like this:

DECLARE @Bank1_201001

TABLE (

num_trans INTEGER NOT NULL,

spend MONEY NOT NULL,

registered BIT NOT NULL

)

;

DECLARE @Bank2_201001

TABLE (

num_trans INTEGER NOT NULL,

spend MONEY NOT NULL,

registered BIT NOT NULL

)

;

INSERT @Bank1_201001 (num_trans, spend, registered)

VALUES (123, $5764.38, 0),

(342, $9638.47, 1)

;

INSERT @Bank1_201001 (num_trans, spend, registered)

VALUES (309, $7511.06, 0),

(211, $5009.83, 1)

;

SELECT SubQuery.registered,

[Number of Transactions] = SUM(SubQuery.num_trans),

[Total Spend] = SUM(SubQuery.spend)

FROM (

SELECT B1.registered,

B1.num_trans,

B1.spend

FROM @Bank1_201001 AS B1

UNION ALL

SELECT B2.registered,

B2.num_trans,

B2.spend

FROM @Bank2_201001 AS B2

) AS SubQuery

GROUP BY

SubQuery.registered

ORDER BY

SubQuery.registered;

Paul

• Thanks a lot SQLkiwi.

You solve my prob.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply