How to solve this issue sqlserver.exe process is taking so much of memory [70%]

• What is the total amount of RAM in the server?

• naga.rohitkumar (11/16/2012)

1. i followed ur posts and suggested same to my team also but not accepting just they want to reduce onlyy

Then you're going to have to educate your team as to how SQL uses memory. What they want is not a good idea.

Once more with feeling...

You need to set the max server memory to a sensible value (right now it's the default, 2048 TB). See chapter 4 of the book I have repeatedly referenced as to what constitutes a sensible value for max server memory.

On, and Anthony was asking for min server memory, not the minimum memory per query (which is irrelevant to this discussion)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • ya anthony is asking me the details but frankly saying i dont know how to check and also dont want to take any chances inthis production servers and as u mentioned to increase in 2048 Tb but i am not the person who configured all this my senior and that to it is client location so it difficult to ask for increasing the memory and all im in early stage also want to konw all this and make me sound technically good i have knowledge of 40 50 % only as a starter .ivl check again properly where all this locate [about memory min and max ]and i vl get back to u

Thanks
    Naga.Rohitkumar

• ivl check and get back to u soon and thanks for the nice guidence from u and gail

Thanks
    Naga.Rohitkumar

• naga.rohitkumar (11/16/2012)

ya anthony is asking me the details but frankly saying i dont know how to check

Exactly the same way you checked max server memory.

You do know how to find out the installed memory on a server?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • 2.13 ghz and 16 gb ram is available in the server

Thanks
    Naga.Rohitkumar

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply