How to test a Backup without an extra server?

• Hey guys, I am planning on upgrading to SS2008. However, I want to test my backups to make sure they are good in case anything goes wrong. Plus this is something I think testing backups is something good to do from time to time anyway. I am not sure how to test my backup since I don't have an extra server, and my box I use for development has too small of a hard drive. Any Suggestions on how I can confirm that my backup files are working? Thanks.

• simply restore the backup with a different database name.

so for example, you could create the database SandBox, and then restore that db with the backup from "PRODUCTION", or you can "restore from file" and assign a different database name to it....

if someone accidentally stepped on one table, that is exactly what you might end up doing....restoring as a new datbase name,a nd then updating the original with data from the backup.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• tomiboy59 (1/26/2011)

... I think testing backups is something good to (do) from time to time anyway.

... and you are absolutely correct.

How to do it? Follow Lowell's guidelines then open "sandbox" database and check object counts, row counts.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Ha, so simple I can't believe it didn't occur to me to just change the name. Thanks a lot.

• or install another instance of SQL on the same box. then you can run the upgrade advisor on this new instance to see what issue you might face when upgrading to sql 2008

-----------------------------
    www.cbtr.net
    .: SQL Backup Admin Tool[/url] :.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply