how to uninstall reporting services 2005

• Slick84 (11/17/2008)

I had to click on REMOVE on "All MS SQL SERVER" (or pretty close) to remove SSRS...

Thank you for that, holding breath now but it seems "remove SQL server" just removes reporting service, which is what I want, the button text should really be changed, scaring people...

• Trying to remove Reporting Services

I am as far as

"Remove MS SQL Server "

What happens if I click Click "Next"

Leary about doing this

This is a really a bad way to remove a component

Thanks

Jim

• Same for me too.... I am glad a smart dba once told me to always do something in development before you do it on a production server.

• Even though it is a little bit late in the game, I decided to post here what I found around doing my own homework for un-installing Reporting Services 2005. Instead of using GUI and do all that heart-beating "career-limiting" clicks I used a command line that worked as a charm:

start /wait <CD or DVD Drive>\setup.exe /qb REMOVE=RS_Server INSTANCENAME=<InstanceName>

In my case since Reporting Services was installed as a default SQL instance it was:

start /wait D:\temp\SQL2005_EE\Disk1\setup.exe /qb REMOVE=RS_Server INSTANCENAME=MSSQLSERVER

It launched SQL Server setup wizard and took less than a minute to remove Reporting Services!

• I had a developer uninstall\reinstall IIS and ASP.net on my production sql server.

Doing an uninstall and reinstall on a production server is a major step. I hope you did in-depth analysis of the problem before deciding this was the best way forward, rather than just a quick decision during a crisis.

Now I'm unable to get reporting services to operate.

IMHO there is no real excuse for not testing the IIS uninstall/reinstall on a non-production server before doing it on the production box. If you had done this, you would have known this would happen, and could plan for it.

At the very least the production box should have been imaged so that it could be reinstated if the 'fix' did not solve the problem.

BTW, did the IIS uninstall/reinstall fix the original problem, and do you now know what the problem was and how to avoid it in the future?

When you have a crisis, taking a decision to change the environment without knowing what the side effects will be can create what is called a 'rolling disaster'. Your IIS 'fix' broke SSRS. Fixing SSRS may break something else. At the very least you now have a production box with a mix of DLLs and registry settings that will be impossible to reproduce on a newly built box, so you will never know if any future problems are caused by your uninstall/reinstall activity or by underlying problems in the software.

When you have got things working, I strongly recommend you do a post-incident review where you and your management look at the sequence of events and decide what could be done better the next time you have a crisis.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• The best way to remove SSRS is to follow the step Andrew had provided. It's not nerver wrecking or anything. It took just two minutes to remove SSRS from my production machine.

Thanks for the information Andrew. You made my day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open REGEDIT from the windows "RUN" application.

Browse HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Unistall Info.

There should be a couple GUID's representing Instance, Client Tools and such.

In this, find the UnistallPath and copy the command back into windows RUN.

Will uninstall fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SQL DBA.

• Michael Riedmueller (1/19/2007)

Hi,

you need to start from Add/Remove Programs (or whatever it is called in an english environment).

select SQL Server2005 and the Change button.

Michael

Before I start, let me say that I've read through this thread, but decided to use what Michael suggested here. Even though JBZ on 3/8/2012, gave what looked like an excellent command line arguments to uninstalling SSRS 2005, we weren't sure which setup.exe on our DVD to use, so we went with Michael's suggestion, of just using the Add/Remove Programs applet. I tried it, twice, but it never removed SSRS 2005.

Why not?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply