How to use vertical bar as text qualifier?

• I have some comma separated text data qualified with vertical bar (char 124) instead of usual quotes or single quotes. How can use DTS to import this data into SQL server since wizard doesn't offer that as a qualifier?

The reason I had to get data with vertical bar is some of the character fields have embedded single and double quotes.

I have SQL 7 sp2. Some of the fields in the text file is numeric and integer, so doesn't have vertical bars around.

Thanks a lot!

• Not sure if the delimiters are intrinsic or they just built a UI for the common ones. Quickest way to tell is to save it out as VB code, then look for where it gets used. If you can find it you can change it! If that fails, you could parse it out yourself in DTS (maybe do a replace operation) or pre-process it even.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Andy, how can I save DTS as VB file in SQL 7?

Could you also spell out "replace operation" for me?

Thanks

• To save a DTS package open the package in EM DTS Designer, then choose files Save As and you will have an option to save to VB file.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I havn't got a SQL server 7 installation to test but the qualifier is configurable in SQL2K:-

Add a dynamic properties task.

Open it's properties and click Add.

In the text file connection drill down to >OLE DB Properties>Text Qualifier.

Double click on Value, specifiy the source as a constant and put | in the text field.

Regards,

Andy Jones

• Hi,

you could also try bcp with the -t parameter you could specify the field terminator.

regards,

Klaas-Jan

• -t is the field terminator not the text qualifier.

Regards,

Andy Jones

• You can't save it directly to VB code in SQL7, there is a tool that comes on the CD that will do it, name escapes me at the moment.

Andy

• Andyj93: SQL 7 doesn't have dynamic properties task.

Andy W: I was able to find vb code to script DTS. I found the delimiter oConnection.ConnectionProperties("Text Qualifier") = """". So now I can change it to "||", but what do I do now? How can I crete DTS from VB code?

• Been a while since I worked on SQL7. I think it works about the same as 2000. Basically once you get everything into the object, you can call .save or .execute methods of the package. You need to load the code into VB, set a reference to the DTS library, look for the .execute, change it to .save. I think there are a couple methods, you're looking for the one that will persist in SQL itself.

Andy

• Thanks Andy.

It's goPackage.SaveToSQLServer "(local)", "sa", ""

'goPackage.Execute

'to execute a package instead of saving it, comment out the save line above and uncomment the execute line

• use dts - use the wizard - under the tab that says " specify column delimiter" choose the last (far right radio button) and enter a vertical bar into the text box.

You can then do this on export and choose any character you wish -- I frequently use a dollar symbol for address data - the great thing about this is that any character or sequence can be used on import or export.

• How could I miss that? Since it wasn't listed, I just simply trusted the interface. I wasted so much time on VB, but learned a couple of things.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply