How To utilize log files

• Hi Sql Server's,

Here the scenario like this , i am using a stored proc that contains some functional business logic ,here i didn't took the backup script and start alter this stored proc. after editing some part of the proc and while executing the same i got some unexpected result. so now i need to keep the stored proc as in the beginning state.

my qtn is this how i am able to revert all these changes , by utilizing transaction log files or is there any other method to revert these changes and keep the stored proc as earlier one.

• Anu (11/11/2008)

Hi Sql Server's,

Here the scenario like this , i am using a stored proc that contains some functional business logic ,here i didn't took the backup script and start alter this stored proc. after editing some part of the proc and while executing the same i got some unexpected result. so now i need to keep the stored proc as in the beginning state.

my qtn is this how i am able to revert all these changes , by utilizing transaction log files or is there any other method to revert these changes and keep the stored proc as earlier one.

Sorry... I'm afraid the original is toast unless you have a tape backup or some such.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Anu (11/11/2008)

Hi Sql Server's,

it is impossible (or maybe very difficult) to restore a log under a different recovery path because of conflicting changes

I'll attempt to illustrate:

Say you have the following chain of backups where Fx is a full backup, and Lx is a log backup:

F1 -> L1 ->L2 ->L3 ->L4

Now, for some reason, you restore the database to F1, and only roll it forward to L2. Now, as time progresses, you have:

F1->L1->L2->L3a->L4a

\->L3->L4

with L3a and L4a being the branch that the live database is on. From here you cannot apply any log backup from the original path, as there are conflicting changes and log entries in the two paths.

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• Restoring part of the log will get the proc back?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• hello.. see i just only wants the earlier code , from the sql server database , there is no demand for that must from log files !

any way sql server have the facility to get back the older state like restore . if any tiger know that plzz enclose the information.

• Anu (11/12/2008)

hello.. see i just only wants the earlier code , from the sql server database , there is no demand for that must from log files !

any way sql server have the facility to get back the older state like restore . if any tiger know that plzz enclose the information.

no i dont think that there is System Restore in xp sort of function in SQL.

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• Anu (11/12/2008)

Yup! Restore a backup that has the procedure in the state you want it.

If you have no backup, you're completely out of luck.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • there is ... there have to be..

• if you will restore a backup, you will loose the changes after that backup of which restore you will take

kshitij kumar
    kshitij@krayknot.com
    www.krayknot.com

• Anu (11/12/2008)

there is ... there have to be..

Yes. Restore a backup.

If you don't have a backup you don't get your data back. That's the point of a backup. SQL doesn't have a undo feature for procedures, it doesn't have system restore points. It doesn't have a magical time machine built in.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I'm not a pro like all the others who have already ventilated this thread, but what I would do in this case is restore a backup on an independent computer and copy the original procedure script that I need to my current DB.

Regards,

goodguy

Experience is a bad teacher whose exams precede its lessons

• goodguy (11/12/2008)

I'm not a pro like all the others who have already ventilated this thread, but what I would do in this case is restore a backup on an independent computer and copy the original procedure script that I need to my current DB.

Absolutely. That's the best way to do it.

Gail Shaw

• goodguy (11/12/2008)

I'm not a pro like all the others who have already ventilated this thread, but what I would do in this case is restore a backup on an independent computer and copy the original procedure script that I need to my current DB.

That kind of thinking makes you a pro. 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I've gotta dog-ear this page... all those in favor of developers having write access to production boxes, raise your hand! 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Raises Hand. But... just me. Not like... other people. Those guys screw everything up. 😉

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply