How to verify whether a full backup has been taken.

• How does SQL Server know whether a full backup has been taken?

My end goal is to add that logic and incorporate it into a log backup script which will first check to see whether a full backup has been taken yet.

• if exists (select 1 from msdb..backupset where database_name = 'blah' and type = 'D')

i.e. history of backups is kept in backupset table in msdb.

pls check column names, no access to SQL currently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• That will only verify whether a backup has ever been taken.

Suppose a backup has been taken on a db in Full recovery mode. Then I change it to simple. Then I change it back to Full. At this point, a log backup will fail because a full backup has not been taken since the db's recovery model has changed.

• David (12/3/2008)

That will only verify whether a backup has ever been taken.

Suppose a backup has been taken on a db in Full recovery mode. Then I change it to simple. Then I change it back to Full. At this point, a log backup will fail because a full backup has not been taken since the db's recovery model has changed.

Hmmm, thats a slightly different question. I do not believe information is kept as to when database options are changed. you would certainly have to include a check that the database is not in simple mode. This scenario would return a particular error so after the tran log backup include logic to trap the error.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• I figured it out. So scenario is I don't want a T-Log backup to be performed if a backup has not yet been performed. Example using database named Test.

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @Table TABLE (

ParentObject nvarchar(100),

[Object] nvarchar(100),

Field nvarchar(100),

[VALUE] nvarchar(100)

)

DECLARE @cmd varchar(100)

SET @cmd = 'DBCC DBINFO (''test'') WITH TABLERESULTS, NO_INFOMSGS'

INSERT @Table

EXEC (@cmd)

IF (SELECT [Value] FROM @Table

WHERE [Object] = 'dbi_dbbackupLSN'

AND Field = 'm_fSeqNo') = 0

BEGIN

RETURN

END

ELSE BEGIN

--T-Log backup script

END

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply