How to view data

• Hi Jeff,

I know how they are stored, but I'm not sure in which tables they are stored.

that if new rows of data has been inserted or updated into a table is there any process or table which shows that changes and which table holds them so that we can see that system table or information of newly inserted data.

If you know the answer please helpme out. May be I'm not so good as you,I'm in learning stage

Hi,

I was asked by interviewer, that if new rows of data has been inserted or updated into a table is there any process or table which shows that changes and which table holds them. and where are stored procedures, functions, cursors, triggers, views stored in a database

Thank you

Ok give me the answer

Regarding your first observation, yes, you can capture information for the very LAST record deleted, inserted, or updated (pick any ONE)

• and what did you answer? were you being interviewed for a newspaper or magazine article, or for a position? what type of position?

Is there a question you'd like us to answer?

Regarding your first observation, yes, you can capture information for the very LAST record deleted, inserted, or updated (pick any ONE)

• Sorry... If your interview was for the postition of DBA and you do not know these things, you are simply not qualified to be a DBA.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

•  

Hi Jeff,

I know how they are stored, but I'm not sure in which tables they are stored.

that if new rows of data has been inserted or updated into a table is there any process or table which shows that changes and which table holds them so that we can see that system table or information of newly inserted data.

If you know the answer please helpme out. May be I'm not so good as you,I'm in learning stage

• For your first question, whether there is something to keep track of new or altered rows, the answer is likely to be about transaction logs. You can read about it if you search for write ahead logs (WAL). Basically the transaction log records all the row modifications, inserts and deletes, together with the table id.

"where are stored procedures, functions, cursors, triggers, views stored in a database" Have a look at system tables. Under SQL Server 2000 look at sysobjects, syscomments for a start (then search Books Online (comes with SQL Server)).

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Yes, there are some tables that know exactly which rows have changed... trying to teach you to "fish" a bit... read about "Triggers" in Books Online.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply