How would T-SQL interpret this coding error?

• I am debugging some code and have tracked down the line of code that is causing the problems. The following is a direct cut and paste of the dodgy line:

set @SqlFilter = @SqlFilter + '''' + + dbo.fnDoubleQuotes(@MatchFieldValue)

As you can see, I have + + in the middle of this code, instead of just +

I have two questions for the community:

a) Why does this not generate an error when I first wrote my CREATE PROCEDURE script?

b) How does T-SQL interpret this line of code?

I am particularly interested in the answer to (b), as the knock-on effects of this coding error are quite subtle and difficult to understand.

Going forward, the correction to the code is simple, but I need to know what damage this error may have done in the past, to know if anything else needs fixing.

• MarkThornton (7/11/2008)

I am debugging some code and have tracked down the line of code that is causing the problems. The following is a direct cut and paste of the dodgy line:

As you can see, I have + + in the middle of this code, instead of just +

I have two questions for the community:

a) Why does this not generate an error when I first wrote my CREATE PROCEDURE script?

b) How does T-SQL interpret this line of code?

I am particularly interested in the answer to (b), as the knock-on effects of this coding error are quite subtle and difficult to understand.

Going forward, the correction to the code is simple, but I need to know what damage this error may have done in the past, to know if anything else needs fixing.

• Himm, it only happens on assignments:

declare @sqlfilter varchar(33)

select @SqlFilter = 'a' + 'd' + + 'b'

Acts like the extra "+" is not there.

But

select 'a' + 'd' + + 'b'

Gives an error.

I think that it's a T-SQL bug. You should report it to Microsoft.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• MarkThornton (7/11/2008)

I think this expression works like this:

set @SqlFilter = @SqlFilter + '''' + '' + dbo.fnDoubleQuotes(@MatchFieldValue)

It means if there are two consecutive + then [''] will automatically take place during compilation. If its not the case then its definately a bug.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply