HTML in SQL Mail

• Hi All,

I have tried to Send a mail using SQL Mail where I passed a query which will be the body of the mail. The mail was sent successfully but the formatting is very odd. My question is how can I format the text within the mail so that it looks clean. Is it possible to send mail using SQLMail in RichText/HTML format. Please help.

With warm regards,

Pradeep

• I'm not sure what you can do in SQL mail.... we are using SMTP mail (EXEC master..xp_smtp_sendmail) which gives good opportunity to format the output. We use sp_makewebtask procedure to create HTML file from the result of query, and then insert it into the body of a message or (if it exceeds the 64k limit for HTML e-mail) send it as attachment.

• xp_smtp_sendmail works great on job. Does anyone know of a way to use it if fatal alerts arise in the SQL log?

Terry

• I can't find the xp_smpt_sendmail proc.  Any ideas why?

Error message in Query Analyzer:  Could not find stored procedure 'master.xp_smtp_sendmail'.

• You are using wrong name.

It must be master.dbo.xp_smtp_sendmail

And you need probably visit this site:

http://www.sqldev.net/xp/xpsmtp.htm

• Go to http://www.sqldev.net/xp/xpsmtp.htm It's a great freebie and does everything you could ask for, for the price!

Terry

• I am using xp_smtp_sendmail , I am geting error

Error: sending message

Server response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for bhushan683@gmail.com

I have set the relay for smtp server to 127.0.0.1 but it is still giving me error

EXEC master.dbo.xp_smtp_sendmail

@server = 'localhost',

@from = 'bhushan683@gmail.com',

@to =   'bhushan683@gmail.com',

@subject = 'HTML Testing...',

@type = 'text/html',

@message = N'<HTML><H1>this is some content for the body part object</H1></HTML>'

Anybody have suggestions on these please reply

• I don't see any reference to the SMTP server. Is what's posted the entire script that you're trying to execute?

Terry

• Yeah, that could be it... Bhushan, is the computer on which this SP runs configured as mail server? I guess you are launching that on your SQL Server... which probably isn't mailserver at the same time (also never tried using "localhost" here). Try changing this line to something like:

@server  = N'COMPANY_MAIL_SERVER_NAME'

• Try this way

Set @messageToSend= '<HTML><H1>this is some content for the body part object</H1></HTML>'

Execute @rc=master.dbo.xp_smtp_sendmail

@server = 'SERVERNAME',

@from = 'bhushan683@gmail.com',

@to =   'bhushan683@gmail.com',

@subject = 'HTML Testing...',

@type = 'text/html',

@message = @messageToSend

• This example uses link servers to get a space report and email it in HTML format. You can use this as a starting block/template.

Hope you find it useful. If not drop another post and I'll fish out more examples for you to work with.

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @tableHTML NVARCHAR(MAX) ;

declare @sub varchar(200)

declare @table table

(servername varchar(50),

drive varchar(20),

free_space_mb varchar(20),

total_size_mb varchar(20),

free_space_percent varchar(20),

sample_date datetime)

select @sub = 'SQL Server Physical Space Report'+space(1)+convert(varchar(11), getdate(), 103)+space(1)+convert(varchar(11), getdate(), 108)

insert into @table select * from OPENQUERY([SV-XXXX],'select * from master .. QTX_FREE_SPACE')

insert into @table select * from OPENQUERY([SV-XXXX],'select * from master .. QTX_FREE_SPACE')

SET @tableHTML =

N' ' +

N' ' +

N' ' +

N' ' +

N' '+

N' ' +

N' ' +

N' ' +

N' ' +

N' ' +

cast((

select td = servername, '',

td = upper(drive)+':\', '',

td = free_space_mb+space(1)+'MB' , '',

td = case when total_size_mb = '' then 'Mirror' when total_size_mb is null then 'Mirror' else total_size_mb+space(1)+'MB' end, '',

td = case when free_space_percent = '' then 'Mirror' when free_space_percent is null then 'Mirror' else free_space_percent+space(1)+'%' end, '',

td = convert(varchar(11), sample_date, 103)+space(1)+convert(varchar(11), sample_date, 108), ''

from @table

where convert(varchar(11), sample_date, 103) = convert(varchar(11), getdate(), 103)

FOR XML PATH('tr'), TYPE

) AS NVARCHAR(MAX) ) +

N' ' +

N'

' +

N' ' +

N'

' +

N' ' ;

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_send_dbmail

@profile_name = 'anyone',

@recipients = 'anyone@anywhere.com',

@subject = @sub,

@body = @tableHTML,

@body_format = 'HTML' ;

• davidw,

I appreciate you posting the code for writing out an email in HTML; however, The beginning of the line of code

AS NVARCHAR(MAX) ) +

got interpreted as a "winkie face" emoticon! ... can you please post the code in

(remove the spaces)

[ quote ]

[ / quote ]

brackets for us?

Thanks in advance,

"Key"
    MCITP: DBA, MCSE, MCTS: SQL 2005, OCP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply