huge transaction log file

• I am using full backup on daily basis.

The transaction log file is continually growing.

I read that if i backed up the transaction log say every 15 minutes this will resolve the issue.

1)Currently on backing up the transaction log frequently the size does not shrink

2) if I used full backup once a day and backing up the transaction log every 15 minutes

on restoring will it be enough to restore the full backed up database or how I will restore it so as not to loose anything

What is the best way to do that and to make the current transaction log shrink

• sohairzaki (2/4/2012)

I am using full backup on daily basis.

The transaction log file is continually growing.

I read that if i backed up the transaction log say every 15 minutes this will resolve the issue.

not necessarily. If the amount of transactions between log backups is high then the log will grow, providing you have enabled autogrow

sohairzaki (2/4/2012)

1)Currently on backing up the transaction log frequently the size does not shrink

How often are you taking log backups? Read my statement above regarding the amount of transactions. What is the initial size of the transaction log?

sohairzaki (2/4/2012)

2) if I used full backup once a day and backing up the transaction log every 15 minutes on restoring will it be enough to restore the full backed up database or how I will restore it so as not to loose anything

using a full backup and t-log backups every 15 mins you will lose less work (up to 15 mins at most)

sohairzaki (2/4/2012)

What is the best way to do that and to make the current transaction log shrink

That is a manual operation, a transaction log backup does not shrink the log file, it does truncate it and mark internal space reusable. If the log has grown if most likely needs the space, what is the current size of the log?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• First question you need to ask yourself is which recovery model suits my needs? Do you need a point in time restore or will a daily backup suffice?

If a daily backup will see you through, switch the recovery model to simple mode.

If it wont take yourself over to these articles and study them.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/stairway/73776/[/url]

• Please read through this - Managing Transaction Logs[/url] and http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Transaction+Log/72488/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Here's another short article[/url] to get you started on log backups.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply