Hybrid model database design

• Hello,

I am using sql2012 se and we want to use couchbase to store some data as documents. So the database will be Hybrid(partly SQLServer and Partly couchbase). However the database is still in the design phase. What are the things that we should keep in mind when designing this database from a design perspective? Our database which was completely SQLServer based(RDBMS) was using GUIDs everywhere based off NEWID() and prime goal is to get rid of GUIDs for the most part.

Please share your valuable inputs

Thanks

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• Sapen (5/14/2015)

Hello,

I am using sql2012 se and we want to use couchbase to store some data as documents. So the database will be Hybrid(partly SQLServer and Partly couchbase). However the database is still in the design phase. What are the things that we should keep in mind when designing this database from a design perspective? Our database which was completely SQLServer based(RDBMS) was using GUIDs everywhere based off NEWID() and prime goal is to get rid of GUIDs for the most part.

Thanks

Quick question, why CouchBase and not FILESTREAM or FileTable in SQL Server?

😎

• Biggest thing to remember is that you're going to have to maintain a two-phase commit on your transactions. You have to successfully write to both SQL Server and Couchbase in order for the data to have any meaning. Also know that you have no enforced referential integrity between the two systems. That means that people could conceivable delete information from either one, but not the other, leading to problems down the road. I'm not saying don't do this, but be sure you have very good management mechanisms in a hybrid scenario like this one. Also, test and double test your error handling.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Because we are on standard edition and not enterprise

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams

• Eirikur Eiriksson (5/14/2015)

Sapen (5/14/2015)

Hello,

Thanks

😎

Because we are on standard edition and not enterprise

• Sapen (5/15/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (5/14/2015)

Sapen (5/14/2015)

Hello,

Thanks

😎

Because we are on standard edition and not enterprise

FileStream and FileTable are supported in all editions of SQL Server from Enterprise to Express

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sapen (5/14/2015)

Hello,

Thanks

As previously stated (Gail) there is no reason for not to use FILESTREAM or FileTable in SQL Server and there is a good reason (Grant) for doing so. The GUID problem is irrelevant in this discussion, change of key data type is just some work we all have to do from time to time. My questions are then what is the problem you are trying to solve? and how does CouchBase fit into the picture?

😎

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply