I am trying to upgrade from sql 2012 (11.0.6020) to sql 2014 sp1.

• I get an error that it cannot upgrade. These are the features that it is trying to update.

Database engine services

sql server replication

full-text and semantic extractions for search

data quality services

Shared features

client tools connectivity

integration services

client tools sdk

Management tools - complete

Its a development server, so I don't actually need full-text extractions or data quality services. I've included an attachment that is a screenshot of the error. Anybody else had this problem?

• fantom (4/11/2016)

I get an error that it cannot upgrade. These are the features that it is trying to update.

Database engine services

sql server replication

full-text and semantic extractions for search

data quality services

Shared features

client tools connectivity

integration services

client tools sdk

Management tools - complete

Its a development server, so I don't actually need full-text extractions or data quality services. I've included an attachment that is a screenshot of the error. Anybody else had this problem?

What are the source and target editions? (Express, Development, Standard etc.)

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Source and target editions are both enterprise.

• fantom (4/11/2016)

Source and target editions are both enterprise.

Enterprise on a dev server?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Enterprise in dev aside, there are a few things to check -- 1) you cannot add features during an upgrade, you can only upgrade what's already there. Make sure you aren't trying to add features. 2) Check the versions in terms of 32/64 bit. You have to go 32-32 and 64-64. If you upgrade a 32 bit install with 64 bit binaries you will have issues. Check those out.

• fantom (4/11/2016)

Source and target editions are both enterprise.

Are you certain about that? Check @@version, check the installer for what edition it is.

The error message you posted indicates an edition change.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP3) (KB3072779) - 11.0.6020.0 (X64)

Oct 20 2015 15:36:27

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.2 <X64> (Build 9200: ) (Hypervisor)

• Can you browse to the <root>\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log area of the server and look for a Detail.txt? There should be a clearer error message in there somewhere.

• And I saw these:

(01) 2016-04-11 13:01:22 Slp: Sco: File '\\ae-it-fileprod1\AE-InfoTech\Software\Servers\SQL Server 2014 SP1\SQL Standard 2014 x64 SP1\x64\setup\x64\sql_fulltext.msi' does not exist

(01) 2016-04-11 13:01:22 Slp: Sco: File '\\ae-it-fileprod1\AE-InfoTech\Software\Servers\SQL Server 2014 SP1\SQL Standard 2014 x64 SP1\x64\setup\x86\sql_fulltext.msi' does not exist

(01) 2016-04-11 13:01:22 Slp: Sco: File '\\ae-it-fileprod1\AE-InfoTech\Software\Servers\SQL Server 2014 SP1\SQL Standard 2014 x64 SP1\x64\setup\x64\sql_dq.msi' does not exist

(01) 2016-04-11 13:01:22 Slp: Sco: File '\\ae-it-fileprod1\AE-InfoTech\Software\Servers\SQL Server 2014 SP1\SQL Standard 2014 x64 SP1\x64\setup\x86\sql_dq.msi' does not exist

I saw some other errors and realized that my 2014 SP1 install media was standard. My SQL 2014 media was enterprise, so I installed that one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply