I got burned today at a SQL Server Interview!

• Grant Fritchey (3/14/2008)

I don't know if I'd call poking holes in water the "front lines" but from what I saw of the AF, you guys had it pretty sweet.

And Jeff, don't be talking down to my baby. I spent many, many, many, long hours keeping that lithium bromide soup happy. It really does put tuning queries into perspective.

So what's this LiBr for? Is there a high incidence of manic depression in the US Navy? :ermm:

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris said:

Grant Fritchey (3/14/2008)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if I'd call poking holes in water the "front lines" but from what I saw of the AF, you guys had it pretty sweet.

And Jeff, don't be talking down to my baby. I spent many, many, many, long hours keeping that lithium bromide soup happy. It really does put tuning queries into perspective.

So what's this LiBr for? Is there a high incidence of manic depression in the US Navy?

Okay, here's where I show my ignorance of nuclear physics and all that. Please excuse as I am not science-geek. @=)

Isn't lithium bromide the stuff that keeps the rods cool? Or heavy water or something like that?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Hi guys,

I am very much a newbie, and I just wanted to say this forum has actually given me confidence to start training as a SQL DBA in my own time.

I have been in a general dogsbody role for five years (support, troubleshooting & maintenance of some truly terrible software packages) and have wanted to specialize but not been too sure if I am suited to the role. I am a hard worker, very willing to learn, honest, and love to tackle difficult problems, but right now feel as if I am not being used to my full potential by my employer.

After reading this discussion, I have been shocked (at how far people will try and BS their way into a job just for money!), encouraged (at comments that honesty is the best policy) and overall surprised that people at how humble people can be about their own knowledge.

It is obviously true that the only intelligent people are those that can admit they will never know everything...

So thanks for the insight! πŸ˜€

• Wow. I'm WAAAAAY off. just googled it. It's air conditioning fluid.

I guess it beats freon. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Chrissy said:

....So thanks for the insight!

You're quite welcome. At least you've been working in IT. I had to come from a completely unrelated field. This means you have a leg up on the stuff I had to do. @=)

GO FOR IT! And best of luck to you.

• More amusing anecdotes in a similar vein:

http://www.ussdevilfish.com/images/gall29.htm

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Brandie Tarvin (3/14/2008)

Chris said:

Grant Fritchey (3/14/2008)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what's this LiBr for? Is there a high incidence of manic depression in the US Navy?

Okay, here's where I show my ignorance of nuclear physics and all that. Please excuse as I am not science-geek. @=)

Isn't lithium bromide the stuff that keeps the rods cool? Or heavy water or something like that?

Boy are you guys going to be disapointed. Lithium Bromide are the chemicals used in a steam powered air conditioning plant. Nothing nuclear about it at all.

And everytime you're eating chicken fingers... you're having Chernobyl Chicken.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Wow. I'm WAAAAAY off. just googled it. It's air conditioning fluid.

Oh, we had freon too. Did you know that freon, when burned, turns to a poisonous gas called phosgene. Just so happens that cigarettes burn at just the right temperature. So if you were a smoker working around the R-114 (the freon ac plant) and there was a bit of a leak.... PUFF [cough][gagh][thud]!

--Edited to get the special effects back in I used a chevron instead of a bracket the first time.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Chrissy (3/14/2008)

Hi guys,

I am very much a newbie, and I just wanted to say this forum has actually given me confidence to start training as a SQL DBA in my own time.

I have been in a general dogsbody role for five years (support, troubleshooting & maintenance of some truly terrible software packages) and have wanted to specialize but not been too sure if I am suited to the role. I am a hard worker, very willing to learn, honest, and love to tackle difficult problems, but right now feel as if I am not being used to my full potential by my employer.

After reading this discussion, I have been shocked (at how far people will try and BS their way into a job just for money!), encouraged (at comments that honesty is the best policy) and overall surprised that people at how humble people can be about their own knowledge.

It is obviously true that the only intelligent people are those that can admit they will never know everything...

So thanks for the insight! πŸ˜€

I came to IT from other industries too. Nothing wrong with it.

BTW, while you should never lie about your knowledge, don't discount your ability. I regularly tell people I can do something that I don't know how to do. I'm just sure to tell them that it'll take me a day, or a week, or more, to learn. Only problem then, you have to deliver. Still, as long as you're a page or two ahead of the rest of the organization, you're the expert.

Brandie Tarvin (3/14/2008)

Wow. I'm WAAAAAY off. just googled it. It's air conditioning fluid.

Oh, we had freon too. Did you know that freon, when burned, turns to a poisonous gas called phosgene. Just so happens that cigarettes burn at just the right temperature. So if you were a smoker working around the R-114 (the freon ac plant) and there was a bit of a leak.... PUFF !

Youch...I didn't think one walked away from Phosgene inhalation. I guess that's one of those "stop breathing and diddy out of the compartment"...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Actually, Grant, on my Google of the stuff, wikipedia said Lithium Bromide was used for bi-polar disorder too, which is probably where Chris's comment came from.

Weird. They feed this salt to people at the same time they were using it as air conditioning dessicant. Makes you wonder what's in all the pre-packaged food that we eat. (@shudder.)

• Really? They feed that crap to people? That's nasty. I'm glad I'm not too bipolar (shut up... no you shut up... shhh, they can hear us).

Actually, Grant, on my Google of the stuff, wikipedia said Lithium Bromide was used for bi-polar disorder too, which is probably where Chris's comment came from.

Weird. They feed this salt to people at the same time they were using it as air conditioning dessicant. Makes you wonder what's in all the pre-packaged food that we eat. (@shudder.)

Haha yep! I've been a "mad-woman magnet" for the last 20 years. Li is still used to treat manic depression. Mostly they self-medicate...

• I regularly tell people I can do something that I don't know how to do. I'm just sure to tell them that it'll take me a day, or a week, or more, to learn. Only problem then, you have to deliver. Still, as long as you're a page or two ahead of the rest of the organization, you're the expert.

That's an awesome quote. You should start a new thread, and post 1 comment per day like this one. I would subscribe! It is very true, and gives me something to think about.

Grant, As I indicated earlier, my brother was a nuke on the Enterprise and he was very blunt with me. The most dangerous place to be in peace time is on a man-o-war. In 6 years he buried many friends due to accidents, from in the engine room to on the flight deck.

One reason I didn't join the Navy, he threatened to break both my legs every 6 months if I enlisted in the Navy. If I got my degree and went in as an officer, that would be okay. Well I enlisted in the Air Force instead. Best 4 years I did even with all the complaining. It did teach me a lot about myself, and helped build a strong work ethic.

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 357 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply