I got burned today at a SQL Server Interview!

• Unfortunately, Chrissy, you're going to have to make the time. But, if you want my spin on this whole situation (i.e., how I did it), check out the following article: qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Career/61543/

Hope it helps you out.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• mtassin (3/14/2008)

Well Brainbench makes me feel better...

I am not going to do the 2005 test until I've actually used the product in anger, but here are the results I did way back, November 2005.

[font="Courier New"]

Certification Elapsed time: Score Percentile

SQL Server 2000 Admin From memory, about 15 min 4.17 93%

RDBMS Concepts 15 min 40 sec 3.60 91%

Computer Technical Support 11 min 16 sec 3.25 93%

SQL Server 2000 Programming 24 min 37 sec 3.36 91%

[/font]

I found the last one quite ironic, as it asked a fair few questions on cursors, which I don’t use. Because, as any decent DBA knows, cursors are evil. 😛

Dave J

http://glossopian.co.uk/
    "I don't know what I don't know."

• Speaking of lunch....

I once got a resume with the "Interests" section saying "Eating exotic meats"

I wanted to bring the guy in just to see him, but he was too weak in so many areas it wouldn't have been fair.

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/17/2008)

Speaking of lunch....

I wanted to bring the guy in just to see him, but he was too weak in so many areas it wouldn't have been fair.

Oh, man, I don't know about that one:

"Killin' sheep was kinder more fun - but d'ye know, 'twan't quite satisfyin'. Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye - As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun to make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy - here, set still, what's ailin' ye? - I didn't do nothin', only I wondered haow 'twud be ef I did - They say meat makes blood an' flesh, an' gives ye new life, so I wondered ef 'twudn't make a man live longer an' longer ef 'twas more the same - "

"The Picture in the House" by H.P. Lovecraft.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (3/17/2008)

"Killin' sheep was kinder more fun - but d'ye know, 'twan't quite satisfyin'. Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye - As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun to make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy - here, set still, what's ailin' ye? - I didn't do nothin', only I wondered haow 'twud be ef I did - They say meat makes blood an' flesh, an' gives ye new life, so I wondered ef 'twudn't make a man live longer an' longer ef 'twas more the same - "

"The Picture in the House" by H.P. Lovecraft.

You know, I was just thinking that there really ought to be an [font="Tahoma"]SSCthulu[/font] participation level.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/17/2008)

Speaking of lunch....

His name wouldn't have been Jeffery Dahmer?

• Exotic food - Yummmmmm.

Fried Alligator tails

Fried Conch

Fried Rattlesnake

Raw Rattlesnake

Elk

Moose

Bear

Raw Sea Urchin

Camel

Reindeer

Pigeon

Horse

Eel

Fried Octopus

Fried Squid

Grilled Squid

(note on Octopus and Squid - if you really want to have fun, stick the tentacles to your teeth and SMILE).

Antelope

Sushi & Sashimi

Forgot to add Squirrel and Buffalo

Probably a few other's that I've forgotten or would rather not mention.

-SQLBill

• Exotic food - Yummmmmm.

Fried Alligator tails

Fried Conch

Fried Rattlesnake

Raw Rattlesnake

Elk

Moose

Bear

Raw Sea Urchin

Camel

Reindeer

Pigeon

Horse

Eel

Fried Octopus

Fried Squid

Grilled Squid

(note on Octopus and Squid - if you really want to have fun, stick the tentacles to your teeth and SMILE).

Antelope

Sushi & Sashimi

All these food are very common in Japan and China. They are not considered exotic in both countries. You forget to put 'Monkey's Brain'. In China, it is an exotic, I never see it but that is what people say, the monkey is still alive. The chef cut off its head and you can see the head and the brain on the table. The body is under the table. Then somehow the chef put some oil in the brain and cut it off and the people eat it.

• Loner (3/17/2008)

Exotic food - Yummmmmm.

Fried Alligator tails

Fried Conch

Fried Rattlesnake

Raw Rattlesnake

Elk

Moose

Bear

Raw Sea Urchin

Camel

Reindeer

Pigeon

Horse

Eel

Fried Octopus

Fried Squid

Grilled Squid

Antelope

Sushi & Sashimi

All these food are very common in Japan and China. They are not considered exotic in both countries. You forget to put 'Monkey's Brain'. In China, it is an exotic, I never see it but that is what people say, the monkey is still alive. The chef cut off its head and you can see the head and the brain on the table. The body is under the table. Then somehow the chef put some oil in the brain and cut it off and the people eat it.

It's true, I swear! Saw it in that Indiana Jones documentary! Yuk yuk yuk :sick:

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I wasn't listing foods that COULD be eaten. Those are all things that I HAVE eaten.

Half of my Air Force career was spent in other countries. So I got to try some really interesting foods.

Eating Camel and Rice with my fingers from a common bowl (in Saudi Arabia) is on the top of the most interesting for me.

-SQLBill

• SQLBill (3/17/2008)

I wasn't listing foods that COULD be eaten. Those are all things that I HAVE eaten.

Half of my Air Force career was spent in other countries. So I got to try some really interesting foods.

Eating Camel and Rice with my fingers from a common bowl (in Saudi Arabia) is on the top of the most interesting for me.

-SQLBill

Wha...all at once?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Mr. Creosote)

Jump to: navigation, search

Mr Creosote is a fictional character in Monty Python's Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, played by Terry Jones. In the sketch, Mr Creosote dines at a French restaurant. The entrance of this morbidly obese middle-aged man is accompanied by ominous music and is followed by a short dialogue with the maître d', played by John Cleese:

Maître d' Ah, good afternoon, sir; and how are we today?

Mr Creosote Better.

Maître d' Better?

Mr Creosote Better get a bucket - I'm gonna throw up.

Creosote is then led to his table, and once seated starts vomiting, failing to hit the bucket he had requested a moment before. The floor quickly becomes covered in vomit, and so do the cleaning woman and the maître d's trousers. He listens patiently while highlights of the evening's menu are recited to him; after vomiting on the menu held open right in front of him by the maître d', he orders them all served in a bucket with quail eggs on top, and for apéritifs he has six bottles of Château Latour 1945, a double jeroboam of champagne, and half a dozen crates of brown ale (half his usual allowance). He finishes the lot, vomiting profusely all over himself, his table, and the other diners throughout the duration (causing other diners to leave in disgust). Finally, after being persuaded by the smooth (and possibly vengeful) maître d' to eat a "wafer-thin mint", he explodes in a huge torrent of innards and partially digested food.

When the explosion clears, Creosote is still alive, but his chest cavity is now blasted open, revealing his spread ribs and still-beating heart. As he looks around, seemingly confused by what has just happened, the maître d' calmly walks up to him and presents "the check, monsieur."

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Has anyone ever had Emu before?

Doesn't quite taste like chicken. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Not tried emu, but ostrich is very good, similar to steak but milder taste. Low cholesterol and fat so quite healthy.

Crustaceans and molluscs would be at the top of my list - razor clams, scallops, oysters; spiny shrimps (squat lobsters), langoustines, crabs, prawns, lobbies.

Damn. Hungry now.

• Isn't there some new food reality tv show where a guy goes in search of bizzare and TRULY exotic foods?

Gooey Duck anyone? (Never tried it myself).

• Geoduck

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well blow me, what a fascinating critter. Bet they taste like razor clams, which are kinda like concentrated scallop. Yum!

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 357 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply