I need some quick help! Restoring MSDE...

• One of my network administrators is trying to restore a voicemail server (part of our IP phone servers) that uses a third party app - sitting on top of MSDE.  The contacted me because their Veritas backup is failing.

Apparently, he was backing up the flat files (or so he thought) of the *.mdf's while MSDE was running.  Now, Veritas can't restore master and get the SQL service running.

I found the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822852

Accordingly I've run...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BINN> sqlservr -c -m -T3608 -T4022

...to restore the master database, and now I am trying to connect to SQL to finish restoring MODEL and eventually other flat files.

Unfortunately, the local server doesn't have Query Analyzer (doesn't ship with MSDE) and I can't connect locally via ISQL.  When trying to connect via ISQL I am using the -E switch for trusted connection...which apparently is not going to work.

So, at this point, I cannot connect to the server to finish the procedure discussed in the doc.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might restore this server?  I've considered reinstalling a fresh copy MSDE and restoring the flat files on that installation.  However, I'm afraid the vendor's security is really going to be hosed.

Thanks in advance.

• Do you have SQL Server backups of the databases (master, msdb, and user dbs)?  If so, reinstall MSDE, then you can restore all the dbs to the new installation.

If there is a licensed copy of SQL Server ANYWHERE on your network that can be made to access this server, you can use the management tools there to manage this server.  This will give you access to Query Analyzer.

If your network admin already restored the server, the master and msdb mdf/ldf files probably don't exist on the server, so executing sqlservr will do you no good.  You can't run SQL if you don't have a master database.  

I'm not sure if it comes with msde, but there is a "Rebuild Master" utility that may be of use as well, but you'll still have the problem of coming up with msdb.

In short, if you don't have SQL backups, you probably cannot recover the security settings.  Additionally, if you don't have the user database mdf/ldf files, AND you don't have SQL Server backups, you won't be able to recover at all.

Steve

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply