I need to do a simple FTP

• In SQL2000 I have a DTS package that FTPs from one server to another and works fine and took NO time to create with the DTS package wizard. I need to create the same on a SQL2005 server and - being, I guess, blockheaded - cannot figure out how to do it *simply* I truly don't need all the bells and whistles of SSIS. Is there a simple route? And some step-by-step directions for us blockheads?

• After awhile you might find SSIS is actually fun to use. There's two overall steps here, creating the package and deploying the package. Scheduling would the another step but the process for doing that is the same as any other job.

Creating the SSIS package:

1. Open SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS)

2. Create a new Integration Services project

3. On the Control Flow canvas drag the FTP Task

4. Open the FTP Task editor by double-clicking on it, select FTPConnection, New Connection...

5. After creating the connection open the File Transfer settings tab

6. Set the Operation, Local and Remote parameters

7. Select Debug, Start Debug to test the package

8. Save the package.

Deploying to MSDB:

1. Open SSMS, click on Connect in Object Explorer and select Integration Services...

2. After connecting, expand Stored Packages/MSDB

3. Right click on MSDB and create a new folder.

4. Right click on the new folder and select Import Package.

5. For the package location select File System

6. Specify the package path of the .DTSX

• Todd, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I followed your steps and it worked like a champ. The only thing I am left not understanding is why this is SOOOOO much more complicated than 2000 and why the stack of books I have bought on 2005 have nothing to say about it.

• Hey Todd, If i were you, which i am not..

I would use DTS Migration wizard to migrate 2000 dts packages to 2005 SSIS. This wizard is very poerful and helpful . Depending on the packges, it will map very close to ssis packges. In case of FTP task , it will make exactly the way it is in dts, you just have to update connections in some cases. Now in dts if u have FTP task to move files , these will be replaced by File System Task. SSIS is preety smart to know this and it will do automatically.

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply