"I renamed the file and it does not work"

• I just got asked by a client why attaching the database does not work.

He walked me through it:

I copied the file off the production box. (70GB)

Renamed it from .bak to .mdf (Here's where I raised an eyebrow)

Put it in the DATA directory.

Where is my DB?

I tried attaching it but that did not work either.

It's nice to have a laugh this early on a Tuesday morning.

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• .Bak files should be restored

check restore database in books online

I didn't check the forum-group

Now my responce is :

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• You better be careful, your client might find your post here...

Of course, if your client knew about this site they may actually have been able to restore a database properly...

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• The thought had crossed my mind and the latter part of what you said also came to mind.

Oh well, if he does and realise it's him I'm talking about, hopefully he'll laugh.

Cheers,CrispinI can't die, there are too many people who still have to meet me!It's not a bug, SQL just misunderstood me!

• only one client ?

The more stupidities they produce, the more they'll need people like us

Make it idiot-proof and they'll find a better idiot

Johan

• Ha Ha - the good news is because of clients like this - the future is bright for us.  Hope there are more like this client

• Pullin guys, I got plenty to share...

Another asked me if I can "fix" his laptop.

"My share drives vanish whenever I take the laptop away from the office. Even if I still connect to the internet, they don't appear anymore."

It's a pitty that is states in my contract that I am not allowed to swear at them.

In any case, as stated, if not for people like this, all of us in IT would be standing on a street corner.

• Umm...reminds me of the guy with the wireless laptop who complained when his battery died.  When asked if he had the a/c cord that came with the laptop the response was "But I thought it was supposed to be wireless!"

I'm sure there's a million other stories out there that help guarantee some of us job security. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• You should have told him "Oh, I did not know it was wireless. Go stand near the plug for a while and wait for the batteries to charge." Then, while he's waiting at the plug, spread the word about him. Watch the confusion as people laugh at him.

Should actually start a thread like that. "Dumb things you've heard or been asked in the workplace"

• Or better yet, "Answers I wish I'd given to dumb questions".  Stand by the outlet and let the battery charge!  I love it! 

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• One of our customers stated he didn't need backups copied to a safe place.

When he tested his backup-power-system there was this litle problem where in stead of 220V the server got a slam of 360V. Ofcourse there was some damage.

Fortunatly we had a set of recent images we could restore.

We needed +- 4 hours to get it back up and running and to his astonishment there was dataloss !

"How come, it are all raid1 drives at that server !?!"

Johan

• hmmm, RAID anything you like, throwing 360 at a server is not a nice thing to do...

I mentioned this thread to a guy at work and he told me the following story.

There was a guy working here on support and was dealing with a rather unplesant customer. A problem with one of their servers. Having spoken to the customer and tried to get them to do a couple things to the server, the customer eventually (Being a twat) said bugger it. Final thing the guy asked the customer to do was turn the server off for about an hour. Give it time to let the memory and north bridge cool. This sounded very technical to customer so he went ahead and did it. He called back in an hours time and got the answer machine. The tech wanted to go home at 5. He had told the customer at 4:30.

Needless to say, not a happy person the next day...

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply