I want to capture the output generated from a .exe app and capture and return a string in nvarchar format

• Hi Developers or DBA's,

A developer wrote a .exe app that reverses data captured (i.e. ABCD will return DCBA) using a .exe app written in .NET.  He wants me to capture the output data that was reversed to a nvarchar string.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Is it possible to use 'xp_cmdshell'? 

Any ideas or points would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

• Seems over-complicated.

Why not take the raw captured data and use the built-in Sql Server REVERSE() string function instead of an external EXE ?

[Edit] If your design locks you into using the .Net exe, try this:

CREATE TABLE #CmdOutput (

OutputRow nvarchar(255) NULL

)

INSERT INTO #CmdOutput 

EXEC master.dbo.xp_cmdshell 'YourProg.exe'

• Good point!  But it is a little more complicated than that actually.  The developers built an app that takes encryped credit card data and decrypts them.  They run this app in a cmd window and they want me to somehow capture that decrypted data and save it to some type of a nvarchar string format.  I'm not sure why, but thats what they're requesting. 

• Why do you think they want to decrypt someone else's credit card number?  They want to go shopping! 

There is no "i" in team, but idiot has two.
  • Would there be some way to put a COM wrapper around the assembly and use com in your stored procedure?

Russ

Russel Loski, MCSE Business Intelligence, Data Platform

• Ask the developer to look up "ADO.NET" on MSDN. 

Normally, when a solution involves xp_cmdshell, it's time to look at the solution.  There's often a cleaner way to do it, without enabling application use of xp_cmdshell.

The business logic layer should handle database inserts, not the data layer.

Either the command-line app could insert the data itself, or another app could get the results from the command-line app (ideally through a different means then scraping shell output) and insert the data.

-Eddie

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply