IBM Venom

• IBM has a snake fetish, or at least someone over there does. Or maybe their project naming algorithm is stuck on one topic.

The next version of DB2 is code named "Viper" and contains a new technology, named "Venom". Sounds like a Cobra/Gi Joe episode my 7 year old would love. Funny how the names differ with IBM choosing, "Venom, "Viper", while Microsoft choose "Denali", "Yukon", "Indigo" and others. I'm sure there's something to analyze there.

In any case, Venom is a compression technology designed to reduce the space needed for data storage in the database. It has evolved from the mainframe and probably is starting to make sense. There are more and more companies finding their SQL Server and DB2 database growing larger and larger and newer storage technologies, like SANs are expensive. Finding a way to reduce this cost would be great.

SQL Server should include this as well, and have it work with partitions to compress older portions of a table and possibly put them on slower disks or even other storage.

Like my HSM idea.

Steve Jones

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• It seems like we need to calculate the carrying costs of data at different service levels.

It is hard to imagine that google pays more then 10 dollars a year per gigabyte, but the service level is fairly low.

I would love to see stats on how much it costs to implement and maintain a gigabyte of data in your shop.

at what amount of storage would your costs spike again?

• Hey, remember when COM+/Component Services had a code name, it was Viper. And Microsoft's reusing Denali, which is why it seems so familiar (I was a support engineer for Visual InterDev when it came out, so I was around the first Denali as well.)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply