Ideal Log File Size Set up in Sql 2008

• I would like to know what will be the ideal setting for Log file set up?

I have Data File, Log File and Temp DB on seperate Disk drive.

I have set up the Data File Initial Size: 100 GB - Growth - 5 GB as total Daat File Drive has 1 TB Capacity.

I am little confused for Log file as We have Replication Subscription will be running on that DB and it will total size of the DB is 300 GB Plus.

Replication will run frequently as well as couple batch job running.

If I set up Log File: 50 GB - Growth - 1 GB as my total Log file drive is configured - 100 GB.

Thanks and appreciate your response!

• Hi,

How much actual data is in the database? How fast the data is changing? What are your recovery requirements? How much space in the log your long tansaction take? Are there ETL jobs?

These are the questions you have to ask yourself. Also consider taking transaction log backups more often so the log will not grow big.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Thanks Yelena.

We haven't set up yet but planning to set up frequently T-Log Back up.

We have currently 300 GB Data.

Due to Replication running, Data is keep Changing.

Rightn ow it's in a FULL Recovery Model with nightly Full Backup and planning to add T-log Back up but not sure how frequent.

Could you please advice me rough idea?

Thanks.

• You have to test how much time transaction log backup takes when backing up log every hour. Then you will decide how often. if the backup takes 20 min to perform when backing up 1 hour worth of log (it is hard to belive it could be) then do it every half hour.

Check the log backup size. If the log backup size is small, then do less frequent backups.

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply