language_cd CHAR(2) null,

updateddate smalldatetime null,

repFormat VARCHAR(10) not null)

on [PRIMARY] ;

sample of the data attached.

I exported the data, then recreated the table and executed:

SET IDENTITY_INSERT dbo.OOReportFile ON

when I try to load the table, I get this error:

Insert error. Row=2 error. 23000(544)[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table 'OOReportFile' when IDENTITY_INSERT is set to OFF.

can anyone help?

• Are you setting identity_insert in the same session as the insert statement? That's the scope it's got.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I am:

Connecting to the Database

issuing this against the Database for Table dbo.

Committing the Transaction

Disconnecting from the DB

Reconnecting to the DB

WHen I load the table, I still get this?

Insert error. Row=1 error. 37000(128)[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The name "sortOrder" is not permitted in this context. Valid expressions are constants, constant expressions, and (in some contexts) variables.

Insert error. Row=2 error. 23000(544)[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table 'OOReportFile' when IDENTITY_INSERT is set to OFF.

• how are you loading the data?

as GSquared has already pointed out you must set identity_insert on within the same session

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Loading the data like this

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_pdf', 1, 109, 'report_CircleOfHonor', '/resources/COH_7_31.pdf', 'en', '8/13/2008', 'PDF');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_pdf', 2, 110, 'report_MonthlyNCDQuota', '/resources/ncdquota_rpt.pdf', 'en', '10/1/2008', 'PDF');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_pdf', 3, 111, 'report_CouncilsReactivationQuota', '/resources/coreact_rpt.pdf', 'en', '10/1/2008', 'PDF');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_pdf', 4, 112, 'report_MonthlyRoundTableQuota', '/resources/rt_rpt.pdf', 'en', '10/1/2008', 'PDF');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_pdf', 5, 113, 'report_MonthlyCollegeMembership', '/resources/cc_rpt.pdf', 'en', '6/3/2008', 'PDF');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_pdf', 6, 114, 'report_MonthlyDegreeScheduled', '/resources/degrees_sch.pdf', 'en', '5/2/2008', 'PDF');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_pdf', 7, 115, 'report_MonthlyDegreeStatus', '/resources/degrees_exem.pdf', 'en', '10/2/2008', 'PDF');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_xls', 1, 88, 'report_CircleOfHonor', '/resources/COH_7_31.xls', 'en', '8/13/2008', 'EXCEL');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_xls', 2, 89, 'report_MonthlyNCDQuota', '/resources/ncdquota_rpt.xls', 'en', '10/1/2008', 'EXCEL');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_xls', 3, 90, 'report_CouncilsReactivationQuota', '/resources/coreact_rpt.xls', 'en', '10/1/2008', 'EXCEL');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_xls', 4, 91, 'report_MonthlyRoundTableQuota', '/resources/rt_rpt.xls', 'en', '10/1/2008', 'EXCEL');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_xls', 5, 92, 'report_MonthlyCollegeMembership', '/resources/cc_rpt.xls', 'en', '6/3/2008', 'EXCEL');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_xls', 6, 93, 'report_MonthlyDegreeScheduled', '/resources/degrees_sch.xls', 'en', '5/2/2008', 'EXCEL');

insert into dbo.OOReportFile (path,sortOrder,id,repname,repfilepath,language_cd,updateddate,repFormat) values('templatedata\Report\OOReportFile\data\ReportsAndPeriodicals_xls', 7, 94, 'report_MonthlyDegreeStatus', '/resources/degrees_exem.xls', 'en', '10/2/2008', 'EXCEL');

getting this error:

23000(544)[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot insert explicit value for identity column in table 'OOReportFile' when IDENTITY_INSERT is set to OFF.

• Hello,

I see you received two error messages,

Jpotucek (11/6/2011)

Insert error. Row=1 error. 37000(128)[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The name "sortOrder" is not permitted in this context. Valid expressions are constants, constant expressions, and (in some contexts) variables.

I cannot ensure this but I suppose things could be like that:

- sortOrder is a reserved word, for this reason you receive the first error message.

- After this error the DB engine turns OFF the IDENTITY_INSERT.

- That's the origin for the second error message.

Try to put sortOrder between brackets, maybe this solves your problem.

Regards,

Francesc

• Thank you so much!!! putting [sortorder] in brackets did the trick!!!!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply