Identify query leading to scans

• Hi

I would like to obtain something like this :

- First column : SP or ad-hoc query

- Second column : Table or index Scan due to the query

I am currently working on a database where a lot of implicit conversions leads to table or index scan (WHERE Varchar_field = int_value , awesome).

I would like to find a way to list all poor queries without having to analyze all stored procedures and ad-hoc queries.

I tried doing it with profiler taking into account :

- Scan:stopped

- all kinds of StmtCompleted

events but I can't find any efficient way to filter and keep all information I need.

Thanks

• Scans are only one indicator of poor performance and are actually not even always a good indicator. SQL Server will run faster using a scan instead of a seek on a table that only consists of a few pages. If you really want to use scans as the mechanism for identifying poorly performing queries, there's no direct way to identify a scan and associate it with a query that I know of except one. You'd have to use an XQuery against the plans in cache. That'll do it.

I blogged about how to do that here[/url]. This query will actually get you want you want if you filter for physical operations that are table or clustered index scans.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Perhaps a better option would be to query the plan cache (same method as Grant suggests) for plans that have CONVERT_IMPLICIT in them

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Querying the plan cache will do the trick ! Good idea !

Thanks a lot Grant and Gail.

• azdzn (1/11/2012)

Querying the plan cache will do the trick ! Good idea !

Thanks a lot Grant and Gail.

Sure thing. Just remember, as I say in the article, direct queries against the cache are somewhat expensive. Be cautious doing this on a production system.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply