Identify SQL Licensing Configuration

• I am trying to see if there is a programmatical way through SQL or Windows to identify the type of licensing a SQL server has been setup to use. Per Processor or Per User??

I have about 100 SQL servers to check. We have a mixture of 2000/2005/2008.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

• This is a really ugle subject in my opinion as Microsoft stopped asking for the license key at installation in version 2005 and higher, now you get a piece of paper with the information on it AND if you lose that, Microsoft all but swears they don't track it for replacement purposes.

To check in SQL 2000 - Start SQL Server Enterprise Manager | Expand SQL Serve Group | right click (local) | Properties

To check in SQL 2005 and 2008 - if the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|SOFTWARE|Microsoft|Microsoft SQL Server|90|MSSQLLicenseInfo|MSSQL9.00 was not enabled prior to installation (not required by Microsoft), then the information is not stored any where on the server.

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
    Elroy: Nope.
    George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.

• I do not see anything under properties on 2000 and that key does not exist on our 2005/2008 servers.

I cannot even find the utility on 2005/2008 to find out what licensing type is being used.

• For the SQL 2000 installation, can you take a look at the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870617

As for the SQL 2005/2008 installations, the registry key, if turned on prior to installation, is the only way I know other than contacting Microsoft.

Sorry - again this is a major issue in my opinion with SQL licensing

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
    Elroy: Nope.
    George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply