Identity column Design Question

• ddl information for problem

create table goods (

goodsplaced id primary key int identity (1,1),

name varchar(50)

)

Hey guys, I have a design that increments an identity column with a seed and increment value i.e. identity (1,1) e.t.c. For security purposes however, what is the best way to implement this design in such a way that everytime a good is placed, it gives random numbers (descending or ascending) as opposed to the regular fixed numbers that the identity provides.

Any other way besides changing the seeds and incremental value of the identity? what about the newid()? any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

• I can think of a couple of ways to achieve that. Easiest would be checksum and newID. But I have to ask what that could possibly have to do with security? I don't see any possible connection between randomizing your ID numbers, and security.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• well, maybe not exactly security, but more like preventing some people from guestimating how many goods placed by looking at the id and doing some calculations. How can I implement that with the checksum and newid () please?

• why not just seed your identity at 10,000, so they could only infer from 10,000 to 99,999;

an identity serves a much better purpose for indexing than a randome number ever would.

anyway,

here's an example of creating a random number, just by using a default value:

create table #test( testtext varchar(30), z varchar(5) DEFAULT(REPLACE( STR( ABS( CHECKSUM( NEWID() ) ) % 10000, 5 ), ' ', '1' ) ) )

insert into #test(testtext)

select 'apples' union all

select 'grapes' union all

select 'bananas'

select * from #test

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• also, you don't need to expose your Id to end users.

another post a while back asked how to generate a combo varchar/number field, like AAA001 thru ZZZ999;

would something like that help, so you can hide your PK?

--three char table: bigger range

CREATE TABLE X(XID INT IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY CHECK ((XID> 0) AND (XID < 196040000)),

XCALCULATED AS

CHAR((XID/260000)%26+65) --1st Letter

+ CHAR((XID/26000)%26+65) --2nd Letter

+ CHAR((XID/1000)%26+65) --3rd Letter

+ REPLACE(STR(XID%10000,4),' ','0'), --The 4 digit numeric part

SOMEOTHERCOL VARCHAR(30)

)

INSERT INTO X(SOMEOTHERCOL) VALUES('WHATEVER')

SET IDENTITY_INSERT X ON

INSERT INTO X(XID,SOMEOTHERCOL) VALUES(675999,'MORESTUFF')

SET IDENTITY_INSERT X OFF

SET IDENTITY_INSERT X ON

INSERT INTO X(XID,SOMEOTHERCOL) VALUES(676000,'MORESTUFF')

SET IDENTITY_INSERT X OFF

SELECT * FROM X

--Results

XID XCALCULATED SOMEOTHERCOL

1 AAA0001 WHATEVER

675999 CZZ5999 MORESTUFF

676000 CAA6000 MORESTUFF

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• iruagawal (9/2/2009)

well, maybe not exactly security, but more like preventing some people from guestimating how many goods placed by looking at the id and doing some calculations. How can I implement that with the checksum and newid () please?

As mentioned, set the seed to either a higher or lower value when you start.

If, for example, you set the starting seed at negative 2-billion (-2000000000), with an increment of 1, you certainly won't get anyone infering any useful data from it. Plus you just about double the number of valid identies for the table. (Assuming Int data type.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hey Lowell and Gsquared, Thanks for taking time out to help. Quick questions, would that default random number generator code be good for performance (indexing e.t.c)? How would seeding it from 10,000 help? They can guestimate that too if they place back to back to back goods can't they? Thanks for the code

• The random number piece should perform well, but it's no good as a primary key or as the leading edge of a clustered index, which kind of defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.

I'm still not clear on why anyone would ever need to see the ID value in the first place, or, if they do, how that would give them any data that actually matters.

Property of The Thread

• I agree it seems like an odd requirement, but that said:

One way to do this would be to dump the IDENTITY column and use a Sequence Table instead. This is essentially a secondary, internal-only table that holds the next value to allocate to a new row. You could start off around -9223372036854775808 (for a BIGINT) and add small random values each time the Sequence Table is used.

Here's a link to an example I posted some while ago: Link

The requirement was very different, but hopefully you will see the idea. The core technique is in the Demo.usp_Allocate procedure and the dbo.AllocationMaster table.

Anyone wanting to take me up on the relative merits of sequence tables had better be in determined mood :laugh:

Paul

• Paul, your idea is quite interesting but when you are using NewId() - there are "only" standard problems with indexes (you can use fillfactor and proper index defargmantation strategy to avoid it).

your idea require some additional afort during running apps (generating new values, optimizing access to this table during inserts) - of course like always it depends but for small/medium apps i prefer to use newid when i need to avoid "id guessing"

• Marcin Gol [SQL Server MVP] (9/6/2009)

Paul, your idea is quite interesting but when you are using NewId() - there are "only" standard problems with indexes (you can use fillfactor and proper index defargmantation strategy to avoid it).

your idea require some additional afort during running apps (generating new values, optimizing access to this table during inserts) - of course like always it depends but for small/medium apps i prefer to use newid when i need to avoid "id guessing"

Thanks. Yes both approaches have merit, and both have advantages and disadvantages.

As far as issues with page splits, fill factors, and defragmentation are concerned - I would make this a non-clustered primary key in all probability.

A pseudo-random value is a poor choice for a clustered index (however implemented), and it is likely only going to be used for singleton lookups - for which fragmentation is not a concern. Page splitting on an NC index using a 4-byte INT column would probably be tolerable anyway (maybe slightly less so for a 16-byte UNIQUEIDENTIFIER - who knows?) but the index will likely be small anyway...

If large range/full index scans were to be common, an appropriate fill factor and index reorganization/rebuilding strategy would work well.

Paul

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply