Identity insert without reseed

• Hi Sergiy ,

Thanks for your reply . The case of splitting the identity ranges , such that one server will have positive identity ranges and the other will have negative identity ranges will work as long as we only have 2 PEERS ( servers ) in the replication topology . This will break if we want to have 3 or more peers ( servers ) in the replication topology.

Is there any way we can do what SQL Server replication is doing ?

Thanks for your help .

• salliven (5/14/2013)

How do you know that?

I'm managing more Microsoft replication.

But Microsoft replication is slow and inflexible. Our replication program is fast and flexible (example: maximum 0,5 sec replication latency, more smaller disk overhead, replication between mssql and mysql, etc), but insert without identity reseed is a big problem.

Why not just use a 2 column PK where column 1 is your ident and column 2 is a server id?

• Hi ryan13in,

I am also in same case as yours, I found something like replication program establishing sql connection with an additional flag as follows,

provider=SQLNCLI10;initial catalog=DBName1;data source=SQLInstName;replication server name connect option=source;persist security info=false;integrated security=sspi

here is the MSDN documentaion for explanation...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee224228(v=sql.105).aspx

Unfortunately we could not esablish user connection with this flag. I have tried in SSMS conection option as well as connect via .net code, I get following error..

"ConnectionString": "Keyword not supported: 'replication server name connect option'."

Please share if you were able to accomplish this task.

Thanks,

Kumar

• Hi,

I found the answer after spend a whole day for POC,

We need to connect to SSMS using "Replication=True" flag in the "Additaional Connection Parameters" tab of connection window. Now I am able to insert higher identity value without reseed to current identity. We can also achive this by establishing .net connection using following connection string..

Provider=SQLNCLI10;Initial Catalog=DBName1;Data Source=SQLInstName;Replication=True;Persist Security Info=false;Integrated Security=SSPI

Cheers,

Kumar

• kumarcug (6/15/2016)

Hi,

I found the answer after spend a whole day for POC,

We need to connect to SSMS using "Replication=True" flag in the "Additaional Connection Parameters" tab of connection window. Now I am able to insert higher identity value without reseed to current identity. We can also achive this by establishing .net connection using following connection string..

Provider=SQLNCLI10;Initial Catalog=DBName1;Data Source=SQLInstName;Replication=True;Persist Security Info=false;Integrated Security=SSPI

Cheers,

Kumar

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• It is work fine. Thanks!

• Hello:

The Replication=True option thats posted kumarcug works great. I need to configure it in a linked server.

Anyone has successfully configure a linked server with the "replication=true" connection option ?
    Thanks a lot.

Daniel Hefez.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply