if-else

• Hi,

I am trying to use an if-else statement in an stored proc, so my question is can we compare two remporary variables in an if-else clause..please help me. I am trying to do

if @= @b-2

begin

statements

end

else

statements

when i am trying to run this, it is not showing any errors but the if-else statement is not getting executed.

Regards

Murali

• What do you mean the IF ELSE is not getting executed and how do you know?

Are you sure the variables are being initialized?

You can compare 2 variables like this:

[font="Courier New"]DECLARE @a INT, @b INT

SET @a = 2

SET @b = 3

IF @a > @b

BEGIN

PRINT 'a > b'

END

ELSE

BEGIN

PRINT 'b > a'

END[/font]

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• select @p = leg_id, @pall= pallets_amt, @su = lean_payable_amt from @TempIndividualFuel where rowid = @index

while @ind <= @TotalStops

begin

select @pa = leg_id,@pallet= pallets_amt, @sum = lean_payable_amt from @TempIndividualFuel2 where rowid = @ind

if @p = @pa

begin

set @pallets=@pallets + @pallet

set @Tsum = @Tsum + @sum

select @cc = pallets_amt / @pallets from @TempIndividualfuel where rowid=@index

set @newAmmount = @cc * @Tsum

update @TempIndividualFuel2 set lean_payable_amt = @newAmmount where rowid=@index

set @ind = @ind +1

end

this is what actually i am trying to do...and now the control is not going into the if clause

• The code you posted is incomplete. You are missing at least 1 END and you are not explaining what you want the code to do. If you look at the links in my signature and post accordingly you will get better answers faster.

What you are currently doing is likely not going to scale well because of the looping and, if we see what you are trying to do, someone here can probably offer you a simple set-based solution that will eliminate the looping and the need for the variables and IF. Based on what I can see in your limited code example it looks like joining the 2 table variables and doing the update is possible, but it is hard to tell because you use variables that are never defined in your example.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• thanks, So I am trying to update my main temporery table by actually caluculating thr freight cost, So in this process i am trying to get the data in an individual temp table of each field and then comparing the first leg_id from thr first table and the first leg_id of the second table and if they are equal i am updating the table according to the given calculation, if they are not equal incrementing the loop of the second table. basically i have diffirent item id's for the same leg id do..if this is the case i want to allocate the money based upon how many items are shipped for an particular leg id..below is the code

select @TotalStops = count(*) from @TempIndividualFuel

while @index <= @TotalStops

begin

select @p = leg_id, @pall= pallets_amt, @su = lean_payable_amt from @TempIndividualFuel where rowid = @index

while @ind <= @TotalStops

begin

select @pa = leg_id,@pallet= pallets_amt, @sum = lean_payable_amt from @TempIndividualFuel2 where rowid = @ind

if @p = @pa

begin

set @pallets=@pallets + @pallet

set @Tsum = @Tsum + @sum

select @cc = pallets_amt / @pallets from @TempIndividualfuel where rowid=@index

set @newAmmount = @cc * @Tsum

update @TempIndividualFuel2 set lean_payable_amt = @newAmmount where rowid=@index

set @ind = @ind +1

end

else

print @pallet

print @pallets

print @Sum

end

set @p=0

set @pa=0

set @pall=0

set @su=0

set @Tsum=0

set @sum=0

set @pallet =0

set @pallets = 0

set @index = @index +1

end

the @tempindividualfuel and @tempindivdualfuel2 have the same records

• thanks..! i got it. I have another problem now.. how can we pass a perameter to call a function from a stored procedure.. please help

• It's still really difficult to tell what's supposed to be happening here because the use of variables doesn't necessarily make any sense. It would help people a great deal if you could provide the structure of these two tables and some sample data to work with.

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• you could throw in a few judiciously placed PRINT statements, as already suggested

don't you have a debugger for your stored procedures? if not in SQL Server itself then in Visual Studio?

• to clarify passing a parameter from a stored procedure into a function, especially if both parameters have the same name, DECLARE a variable of the same type and set it to the stored procedure variable

if the variables have different names then they can be used as is

CREATE PROCEDURE spSomething

@var1 INT

AS

BEGIN

SELECT fnSomethingElse(@var1) AS SomethingElse, etc.

for scalar variables

or

SELECT col1, col2, etc FROM fnTable(@var1)

for table variables

END

• You should probably familiarize yourself with the debugger and step through the code. It's very good for examining variables in stored procedures.

You may very well have one of the values as a NULL in the comparison in the IF statement. NULL never tests true when compared to anything - even another NULL.

Todd Fifield

• If the two temp tables have the exact same data as you say - this seems like a waste of time?

You're essentially comparing a table to it's self and performing some math against it. You could easily do all of that with a simple select, and use built in aggregates.

As it is, much of the work you're doing can be eliminated using the SUM() function to perform your math, and matching up the records using joins and where clauses. something along the lines of this:

select @Palets=sum(t2.pallets_amt), @Tsum=sum(t2.lean_payable_amt), @cc=(t1.pallets_amt/SUM(t2.pallets_amt)),

@newAmount=(t1.pallets_amt/SUM(t2.pallets_amt))*sum(t2.lean_payable_amt)

from @TempIndividualFuel t1 inner join @TempIndividualFuel2 t2 on t1.leg_id=t2.leg_id

I think to achieve the update (since you're only updating one field) you could do it really simple like this:

update @TempIndividual2 set lean_payable_amt=(t1.pallets_amt/SUM(t2.pallets_amt))*sum(t2.lean_payable_amt) from @TempIndividualFuel t1 inner join @TempIndividualFuel2 t2 on t1.leg_id=t2.leg_id

That's what I see based on the code you put up there with your loops, etc.

This is just a quick glance, and it is pretty late.

Post your entire stored proc, and i'll flip through it. Guarentee there's a faster/easier way of doing things then the loops you're using now though.

• You don't have begin-end delimiters after the else. So only the first print statement (print @pallet) is getting executed when the ifcondition is false. The statements from the second print statement (print @pallets) on are always getting executed because they are outside the scope of the if-else construction.

I don't understand your other question -- how do you pass a parameter to call a function from a stored procedure? Perhaps an example of what you are trying to do would help.

Tomm Carr
    --
    Version Normal Form -- http://groups.google.com/group/vrdbms

• murali_babuin (8/5/2008)

thanks..! i got it. I have another problem now.. how can we pass a perameter to call a function from a stored procedure.. please help

Two way street here... if you found your own answer, would you mind posting it, please? Thanks...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply