IIS ans SQL server on the same server

• HI,

My organization wants to constalidate our ISS and places it on out SQL server.  At this time the IIS would only be used for internal users and would not be out on the net.  My personal opinion would be to not have IIS and SQL on the same machine. I think that performance would decline and also this would be a security risk.  Does anyone know of any MS articles that give me best practices on having IIS and SQL on the same server?  Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Nick

• This May help you.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/dpoole/sqlandiisonthesamebox.asp

------------
    Prakash Sawant

http://psawant.blogspot.com

• Thanks for that Link I did read that before I made a post I was wondering if there was any other resources out there.

• One of the main issues in putting SQL and IIS on the same box is that they are both heavy users of I-O and memory, and end-user response suffers badly if these are constrained.

In a 32-bit environment there really is not enough memory to run both IIS and SQL on the same box if you expect high loads on either product.  Even with AWE too much stuff has to live below the 4GB line.  In a 64-bit environment both products can use the full address range, so you can put enough memory on the box to avoid memory pressure on either product.

The next problem is I-O.  It is hard with DAS or NAS storage to get enough bandwidth to keep both products running smoothly.  However on a SAN you can far more easily make the required I-O bandwidth available.  You should still aim to use separate drive letters for Windows, IIS folders and SQL folders.  There are internal queue mechanisms for write serialisation for each mount point, and you do not want the Windows OS to be limiting factor in your I-O.

Then there is security.  Ultimately you need to take a view on if it is safe to run IIS and SQL on the same box.  The security of both products has improved with the newer releases, but each shop has to decide if co-existance is safe for them. 

Finally, remember that outside Windows on some OSs, it would be considered best practice to run a web server and a database on the same box.  Sites that have a mixture of mainframe, *nix and Windows are starting to question why so many Windows components are run on separate boxes when this is not required much if at all elsewhere.  There are still some good reasons why a single Windows server should not perform all functions in your domain, but 64-bis and SAN have made a big change to the Windows landscape.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply