Im confused!!!

• At my company I have been recently, last week to be exact, given the task of Administering our SQl servers. i went to one class a year ago so i got the job!!!In the beginning I was excited now I'm ready to pull my hair out!!

I created a job on all sewrvers and it ran on all but one. Its a simple recycle error log job that runs the first of each month. When the one job wouldnt run I started to review the config for the servers and nothing is consistent.

There are 8 sql servers running sql 7.0 when reviewing how everything logs in i noticed that

Sql Server Prop - startup service account

3 have a specified account ( 2 have sysadmin rights 1 doesn't???)

4 have designated "system account"

1 - the option is grayed out - nothing specified

at the sql server agent all use a win auhentication sql server connection but...

SQl Agent service start up account

2 have a specified account

4 are set at system account

2 are grayed out with nothing specified

My first question is what is the difference, if any between

SQl Server Prop Startup Service account

and

SQL Server Agent Service startup account

Also - System account - Is that the BUILTIN admin?

They terminology makes my head spin!

Any clarifications would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Karen

• OK, I'm slightly confused, but here are some things to note.

For each SQL Server instance, there is an MSSQLServer service and a SQLAgent service. There may be others, but these are always there.

Each of these may run under local system which is a special machine account that has admin-like rights to the local machine only, but you cannot log in as this account yourself, interact with a desktop, or change the password. This is primarily used for running services. I do not recommend this for running SQL.

The local administrator account is a USER account that is used to administer the machine. It belongs to the local administrator group, which is a series of accounts that can also administer the machine. I tend to run SQL as a domain account so the server can get to network resources, but not a domain admin account. I make my domain account part of the local administrators group because this cuts down on security related errors for the local machine.

The MSSQLServer account is used to run SQL Server. It performs queries, accesses the disks, the network queue, SQL Mail, etc.

The SQL Agent accounts runs your scheduled jobs.

I'd set both of these to run under the same account (makes it simpler). Make a domain account and add it to the local admin group and see if that fixes your issue.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply