I'm "working from home"

• More than a decade ago, I worked almost exclusively from home for a handful of years and would not consider it time well spent career wise. In organizations where most IT staff work on-prem, my perception is that the "work from home" team member is typically not the perceived expert or go-to person except in regard to whatever narrow niche they have carved for themselves; they are essentially in a lynch-pin position maintaining a legacy product that on-prem staff know little about (and perhaps care little about).

However, if we're talking about an IT centric company with a geographically dispersed workforce where working from home is the norm, then the dynamics are different. You just don't want to be the odd guy out working from home while everyone else is on-prem.

Phil, that remark about sympathetic neighbors offering odd jobs is both funny and poignantly true.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, March 24, 2017 4:19 PM

Well, I've been working at home for 14 years and I've yet to find myself looking at pictures of kittens.

I haven't had the issues where someone thinks I'm not going much, neither with remote consultnig nor working for others. I think I'm productive and I show that I get work done, so no one questions my work ethic. Ironically, I find that when I'm in the office, I get much less done during the day. All the distractions you speak of become problematic.

I do find that working at home can be hard. I  usually get up early, and sometimes spend too long at my desk. I eat meals at my desk, talk on calls while doing laundry, have multiple machines around the house and can constantly keep an eye on work. With no commute, there are plenty of days I spend more time working than I did in some offices.

It is lonely, and it can be  a struggle to focus. The same thing happens in the office, it's just different. Over the years I've coped by scheduling lunch with friends or getting outside during the day and breaking things up. A little time spent on another task can help get me in the mindset to get back on the computer.

This! I really like working from home, but definitely find that I tend to spend more time at my desk than when I was in the office. I've got a nice little (emphasis on "little") office space set up to do my work and find that generally works pretty well for my needs. I do need to get better about scheduling lunches w/ friends and former co-workers.  I do find that I'm relatively productive and it helps that I can take care of little things without needing to worry too much about getting back to work. I miss some of the office banter, but also appreciate that I'm not constantly distracted by it. The worst I typically get is a little one who wants to be seen (or just to see) the video when I'm on a video call w/ people in the office. They think it's cute and it doesn't happen too often so they aren't distracted by it or think I'm messing around.

• Peter Schott - Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:57 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, March 24, 2017 4:19 PM

Well, I've been working at home for 14 years and I've yet to find myself looking at pictures of kittens.

I haven't had the issues where someone thinks I'm not going much, neither with remote consultnig nor working for others. I think I'm productive and I show that I get work done, so no one questions my work ethic. Ironically, I find that when I'm in the office, I get much less done during the day. All the distractions you speak of become problematic.

I do find that working at home can be hard. I  usually get up early, and sometimes spend too long at my desk. I eat meals at my desk, talk on calls while doing laundry, have multiple machines around the house and can constantly keep an eye on work. With no commute, there are plenty of days I spend more time working than I did in some offices.

It is lonely, and it can be  a struggle to focus. The same thing happens in the office, it's just different. Over the years I've coped by scheduling lunch with friends or getting outside during the day and breaking things up. A little time spent on another task can help get me in the mindset to get back on the computer.

This! I really like working from home, but definitely find that I tend to spend more time at my desk than when I was in the office. I've got a nice little (emphasis on "little") office space set up to do my work and find that generally works pretty well for my needs. I do need to get better about scheduling lunches w/ friends and former co-workers.  I do find that I'm relatively productive and it helps that I can take care of little things without needing to worry too much about getting back to work. I miss some of the office banter, but also appreciate that I'm not constantly distracted by it. The worst I typically get is a little one who wants to be seen (or just to see) the video when I'm on a video call w/ people in the office. They think it's cute and it doesn't happen too often so they aren't distracted by it or think I'm messing around.

On the UK news recently they were interviewing a US "expert" who was in his home office. His children joined in live TV. It was quite amusing and was widely parodied. Many will have seen it online but if you missed it then it is worth a quick search.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga - Monday, April 3, 2017 5:03 AM

Peter Schott - Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:57 AM

On the UK news recently they were interviewing a US "expert" who was in his home office. His children joined in live TV. It was quite amusing and was widely parodied. Many will have seen it online but if you missed it then it is worth a quick search.

That was a great clip. I saw one analysis by a comedy writer who pointed out how perfectly each stage was timed. Couldn't have written it better.

Children and animals somehow manage to break through the façade. During webex sessions from home, my dog and parrot have both decided to become involved. Though in one case, the technical support person (also at home) had her dog interrupt the proceedings as well.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Almost every time I try having a video conference session from home, my cat joins in. Usually by jumping from the windowsill onto my desk, so the other person gets no warning before there's a cat staring at the camera,

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • jay-h - Monday, April 3, 2017 7:39 AM

Gary Varga - Monday, April 3, 2017 5:03 AM

Peter Schott - Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:57 AM

That was a great clip. I saw one analysis by a comedy writer who pointed out how perfectly each stage was timed. Couldn't have written it better.

Children and animals somehow manage to break through the façade. During webex sessions from home, my dog and parrot have both decided to become involved. Though in one case, the technical support person (also at home) had her dog interrupt the proceedings as well.

The comedic value of such an incident like this as this is contextual depending on the characters involved and the venue that it's initially released in. For example, had the work from home expert distracted by a child been female, would the clip have still been widely received as funny?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Monday, April 3, 2017 8:58 AM

jay-h - Monday, April 3, 2017 7:39 AM

The comedic value of such an incident like this as this is contextual depending on the characters involved and the venue that it's initially released in. For example, had the work from home expert distracted by a child been female, would the clip have still been widely received as funny?

The actual comedic value would still be there for most of us but the social justice types would be quick to declare offense. That's why Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock (among others) will no longer do colleges.

• jay-h - Monday, April 3, 2017 9:30 AM

Eric M Russell - Monday, April 3, 2017 8:58 AM

jay-h - Monday, April 3, 2017 7:39 AM

The actual comedic value would still be there for most of us but the social justice types would be quick to declare offense. That's why Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock (among others) will no longer do colleges.

Yeah, there is a big difference between the free style stand-up comedy of '97 versus the mainstream corporate sponsorship style comedy of 2017.

• Eric M Russell - Monday, April 3, 2017 9:48 AM

Yeah, there is a big difference between the free style stand-up comedy of '97 versus the mainstream corporate sponsorship style comedy of 2017.

The issue has little to do with being corporate. There's a mindset of offense by varied activist pressure groups (who consider themselves very anti-corporate) that frequently reacts in trying to shut the speaker down and not uncommonly, violence as well.

• I've been an entrepreneur for two decades and a free lancer since the last 10 year, working as a System Architect, DBA, multi-language developer, network installer and manager... most of the time I've been lucky to work at home thanks to the peacefulness and the self-organization that only an home can guarantee: no hysteric phone rings or angry/frustrated bosses and/or collegues... the only issue is the absence of the knowledge sharing which anyone can take advantage of in such a populated environment.

But, nowadays, we have chats, videoconference systems, emails, blogs, social networks, forums and so on where we can draw all the info we need.

I've read some Phil's articles and found them very useful and enlightening: expecially the one written three years ago: "Consuming JSON Strings in SQL Server".

From there I've downloaded some code, then I've analyzed it and made some adaptations.

Because I haven't been able to find any kind of contact info about Phil, I decided to write this brief post, just to inform him that I corrected some of the errors found in some parts of his code and to say him that the new code is freely available for him and for all who decide to implement it in their own environments.

Phil, if you're interested, please come in contact with me: fabrizioricciarelli@gmail.com

I'll be glad to send you the revised code which you can then use to update your article(s).

Hope you'll find it useful, with my best regards,

Fabrizio

• I've sent an email  reply to Fabrizio about the code. Yes, love to have the code corrected! I wish I had the time....

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Is there a link to where you found this code?

412-977-3526 call/text

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply