Impact of dropping a clustered index

• What is the impact of dropping a clustered index? What type of performance hit will be caused?

Thanks.

• what is the reasoning behing dropping the clustered index?

• No such reason. I was going thru some blogs, wanted to dig some more.

• changes the table to a heap

queries will cause table scans

non clustered indexes will cause a lookup scan

as it has to look through all of the data pages to find the data it needs, as there is no B-Tree telling it where to find the data

• What about data as leaf node of a clustered index conatains data pages?

• the leaf node is the bottom level of the tree which is the data pages, unless you mean something else?

• I tested on a table. Dropping clustered index doesn't impact data.

• anthony.green (4/4/2012)

queries will cause table scans

Not necessarily. Nonclustered indexes can still be used for seek operations

non clustered indexes will cause a lookup scan

Lookup scan?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • sqldba4u (4/4/2012)

I tested on a table. Dropping clustered index doesn't impact data.

Of course it won't. Clustered index is just about organisation of data. Dropping or creating indexes can't change the data in the table.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Sorry Gail, maybe my terminology is a bit off.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when there is a column which is required in the result set which is not an included column, the non-clustered index will lookup the column from the clustered index, believe this is a key lookup, now as there is no clustered index if this was to happen it would scan the heap for the extra data needed to satisfy the query resulting in a "lookup scan" (might not be the correct terminology).

• anthony.green (4/4/2012)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when there is a column which is required in the result set which is not an included column, the non-clustered index will lookup the column from the clustered index, believe this is a key lookup

Yes, that's a key lookup.

now as there is no clustered index if this was to happen it would scan the heap for the extra data needed to satisfy the query resulting in a "lookup scan" (might not be the correct terminology).

That would be a very inefficient way of doing things...

When there's no clustered index, the nonclustered indexes have, instead of the clustering key, the RID of the row in the heap. That's an 8-byte combination of File ID, Page ID and slot index. So when a lookup occurs and there's no clustered index (the base table is a heap), the nonclustered index has the exact location of the row in the heap and the lookup occurs directly to that row. It's called a RID lookup.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks for the clarification Gail, much appreciated as always

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply