Implementing an accumulating snapshot fact table

• I am newbie to SSIS 2005 and am in the processing of building a Work flow report. I read thru' the Kimball book and it suggests building an accumulating snapshot fact table. Is there a recommended best practices for loading and processing (ETL) an accumulating snapshot fact table ?

• Just curious - what is an accumulating fact table? I've not heard that term before.

As I understand data warehousing, all fact tables are generally speaking - incrementatlly updated.

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• Please refer to the following Design tips document from Ralph Kimball

http://www.ralphkimball.com/html/designtipsPDF/DesignTips2002/KimballDT37ModelingPipeline.pdf

• thanks. I've read about that before.

In view of your situation, I would stage the information from your system and then treat the fact table like a slowly changing dimension.

(I'm new to SSIS, but that is my 2 idea of how to treat accumulating fact tables).

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply