Implementing BackUp and Restore

• I am trying to implement backup and restore of an Application. I have data in abt 100 tables with varying table schemas. Say I am storing inforamtion about customers. I need to get all data for a particular customer from all the 100 tables meaning I can have 2 rows from table1, 4 rows from table2, 8 rows from table 3, and so on. Can I put all the data into One table and finally use DTS to create one file. Anybody has any Ideas? Since the table schemas are varying I am unable to put all the data into one file

• Need more info. are you attempting a database backup or exporting the data to a file such as excel or csv?

• Exporting the data from amny tables to one single file

• Yes, what you are doing is rite. The easiest way is to use a sp to create a temp table(depending on the conditions and filters) and then use a DTS package to transfer it to file..Other techniques like bcp, BULK insert can also do the trick for u and wanna go more advanced then you can use sp_OACreateObject from SQL sort of COM Automation from SQL.

• Here's a good example for you to get started:

Using DTS to generate an excel them email

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/jsack/capturingtheerrordescriptioninastoredprocedure.asp

• But can DTS tranform multiple tables(with varying schema) to one single file. i.e does it append the result of transformation of multiple tables to one file.

• I'm sorry If i don't understand your problem completely. I think since your need basically is to retreive data from tables with varying schemas, you can write a hand-made SQL statement which populates the data in a temp table and then use this temp table as your final source to transfer it to the destination file.

• If I do as you mentioned ie create temp tables and then use DTS. but in my product we have like 185 tables. hence I will have to create 185 temp table and finally 185 files. Is there anyway I can put all the data in 1 file.

• Sapna,

I'm not saying u create 185 temp tables, u make a temp table which is dynamic like e.g. u write a select which joins multiple tables and gets the final result and put the results in temp table e.g.

select * into #temp

from tableA inner join tableB

on tableA.id=tableB.id

this is just a generic example, in ur situation either you write a procedure or write SQL script that will combine all the resultsets from whatever tables you want into a single temp table and then use this temp table as your final source to export to file..

HTH

Regards,

Dilip

• do u have any script where in u have implemented this?

• I am unable to write one select statement to join all the tables. so what do u think?

• I can help you with the script if u put down here some 3-4 table schemas with some sample recs and the way u want the output to come

All the best

• I can help you with the script if u put down here some 3-4 table schemas with some sample recs and the way u want the output to come

All the best

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply