Import column list mapping for flat file source

• I'm new to SSIS, and it seems this should be easy, but my google-fu fails me.

I need to import some flat files into SQL, with well over 100 fixed length columns in each. I have a data dictionary in a Word document which I could easily export to Excel. Is there an easy way to populate column list from an external file?

I did open the package as an XML file and found the column list, but importing the list didn't seem straightforward.

I keep saying easy because I can't justify spending much more time trying to import the data dictionary than it would have taken it to just enter the columns in the designer. I just want to make sure I haven't missed something obvious.

Many thanks.

• Using the MS delivered tools the mappings are determined at design time and are not modifiable at run time..

There is a tool by CozyRoc that might be able to do this. But I'm not 100% sure..

CEWII

• Thanks, Elliott! I don't need to change the mappings at run time. I just want to import them from outside the SSIS designer, so I don't have to tediously type column name and width for each one.

• Sorry, that is usually the question.. I don't know of a way to do what you are asking.. Sounds great though.

CEWII

• Did you consider using bcp with a format file based on your word doc definitions?

Sounds like the easier option...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• lmu92 (4/22/2010)

Did you consider using bcp with a format file based on your word doc definitions?

Sounds like the easier option...

Ah! No, haven't thought of that, thank you. It does look like it would be easier.

I inherited the SSIS package but the mapping changed from last year. So I poked at the column list, then said, "There's got to be an easier way!" and went googling. Never considered bcp.

• I hope it'll work...

Godd luck! 🙂

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply