Import data from Excel sheet to oracle

• hi

i tried to import data from excel sheet to oracle server. it was done using import wizard in sqlserver. now i got a error i.e. it was created as "Sheet1$" in oracle server. when i use a query to retrieve data from that table i am getting error

SQL Error: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

can any one help me on this

Thanks

Rock...

• You have to put Sheet1$ like this [Sheet1$], if I remember from the old days. Maybe next time you should change the table name when you use data import/export wizard.

• after changing to [Sheet1$] also i am getting the same error

for ex: select * from test.[Sheet1$];

SQL Error: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

• The problem is not on the excel side but the table not being found on the Oracle side (I assume the table that is being loaded into).

Out of curiosity, why don't you use oracle tools to load the data from excel? (ie sql loader etc)

David Weil

• Can you shed some light on the process you are using?

It sounds like you imported the data into MSSQL and either pushed it directly to an Oracle server using DB Link or had a staging table in MSSQL, then pushed it to an Oracle table.

and now you want to Select * from [Sheet1$] and are getting an error? Who is the owner of that object? What user are you using to query SomeOwner.[Sheet1$]? Does that owner have SELECT permission to that object?

Have you considered Oracle External Tables?

You can load the file to the server hosting Oracle. Create the External table using that OS file and query it like any other table.

• Run the this query

select * from all_tables

on Oracle to verify that the table is there, if so notice the owner and make sure you specify the owner (schema) name in your query if needed, also the table name in Oracle is case sensitive

HTH

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply