Import data from Gupta SQLBase 7.0 database

• Hi,

I need to import the entire database which is at the moment in Gupta SQLBase 7.0 database. I did some research and found that I can do that in SQL Server if I have the correct ODBC/OLEDB drivers installed on the machine here SQL Server is installed.

Ref: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic449992-120-1.aspx

So I went ahead and installed SQLBase Driver Pack 9. Now when I open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC), I can see the Gupta SQLBase driver in the list when I try to add a DSN. So I went ahead and created a System DSN connecting the database I need to convert using the Gupta SQLBase driver and then I tested the connection.

Now that the System DSN is ready to go, how do I use it in SQL Server's Import Export Data wizard to connect and retrieve the data?

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

Kindest Regards,

WRACK
    CodeLake

• Have you tried setting up a connection to that DSN using either SSIS, or directly in the query using OpenRowset?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (6/25/2008)

Have you tried setting up a connection to that DSN using either SSIS, or directly in the query using OpenRowset?

Hi thanks for the quick reply. I was trying to just use Import Export wizard but for some reason couldn't make a connection using the DNS at all until I after I rebooted my machine.

Now the test connection is successful after in the wizard I can't go past the "Choose a Data Source" screen and I get the error below when I try to click next.

[font="Courier New"]TITLE: SQL Server Import and Export Wizard

===================================

Cannot get the supported data types from the database connection "Provider=SQLBASEOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=FINPLUS". (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard)

===================================

Specified cast is not valid. (DTSWizard)

------------------------------

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.DtsWizard.DataSourceInfo.LoadTypeData(OleDbConnection myDestConnection)

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.DtsWizard.DataSourceInfo.CacheDataSourceInfo(IDbConnection myConnection)[/font]

So has anyone seen this kinda error before. If I am understanding this correctly then it looks like the version of SQLBase I have is not recent enough.!

Kindest Regards,

WRACK
    CodeLake

• OK I just updated the SQLBase to 9.0 version of the Server and the same error..! Yikes.

Kindest Regards,

WRACK
    CodeLake

• All I can suggest is get a hold of whoever that database is made by and see if they have any suggestions.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply