Import Data from MS Access problems

• Hi,

First time user of SSIS....

Am copying data from MS Access to SQl Server.

The total number of rows in the destination was less than the source, so I output the error rows to a text file.

The data in the rows looks okay, but the ErrorCode and ErrorColumn columns contain error codes like

and refers to columns like 249, 221 etc. I have only about 20 columns in the query though.

How do I trouble shoot this?

PS, I had to add a data conversion data flow in between the sources as I was getting unicode problems.... how to avoid this?

• You can find the correct columns by going to the advanced editor in your data flow tasks.

1. Right-click on the destination and choose "Advanced Editor"
    2. Go to the "Input and Output Properties" tab
    3. Expand OLE DB Destination Input --> External Columns
    4. Click on each of the columns and the ID will show up in the right window

Unfortunately (and someone pleasecorrect me if I'm wrong), I've heard there is no way to extract the actual column name causing the problem during run-time.

Hope this helps.

Dan

• Hi,

Ok, I followed your instructions, and it appears that the problem columns are dates.

In particular, dates entered incorrectly like 01/01/205.

In DTS I ave been able to program around stuff like this, how do I do this with SSIS? The data conversion Flow I alrady use, and it doesn't seem to have any 'programmability'..

thanks,

• There are actually quite a few "tranformation" tools that you can use in SSIS. You could use a conditional split to send those items that have an incorrect date down another path where you could use a derived column tool to fix the date and then a union all to join the corrected records back to the main stream records.

Regards,

Carla Hepker
    Documentation: A Shaft of light into a coded world.

• There is a pretty good website that provides some free, basic SSIS training videos (there is some other goofy stuff there, as well, but some good SSIS stuff):

http://www.jumpstarttv.com

• thanks, will give it a look.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply